Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

MP3 Player

I tried to do as much comprehensive searching as possible, but didn't find anything fresh. Any solid options out there for an MP3 player (ie play off network folder) with a nice UI and integration? Would be totally open to even rolling my own with something like a Raspberry Pi. Storage shouldn't be considered since I already have storage for the songs. Just want something that will stream from the network with reasonable audio quality (no audiophile) and can tie in nicely with the control system. options including Pandora and/or Spotify are a plus, but by no means necessary.

Comments

• alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166

the Pi MusicBox looks promising, but don't know if a module is done. https://www.pimusicbox.com/

no options?

• Well, maybe. You could look at Squeezebox ecosystem. Formerly from SlimDevices and Logitech, now a very lively open source community. No new branded hardware available, but many options to build your own server and client, both run well on a Pi, there are ready made images. There is an old AMX module (https://sourceforge.net/projects/netlinx-modules/#screenshots) that would probably need some work, but could get you started.

• viningvining Posts: 4,368

The Small Green Computer store still has players, Vortexbox, etc that run the Slim server. I actually have a module that started out using their CLI protocol that I converted to JSON and CometD it was working pretty good and even had an AB loop of both streaming source and hard drive source. It could use some improvements but thats a dead end street so I stop wasting time.

Thank you. I will look at these options, as well as the autonomic. has anyone been able to resolve the module issues with autonomic, or roll their own?

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

We created our own based on the the Autonomic API, and found that the devil is deep in the details they don't tell you. While it generally works as a player interface, higher functions like creating playlists and deep searches require modal and unique popups depending on the service you are accessing, and there's no api to manage that. Autonomic basically told us to use the module as-is, which was not an option in our architecture. Pandora, Spotify, and probably others now are broken once you dive in. A 90% satisfaction is not an "A" in this business.

> @"John Nagy" said:
    > Pandora, Spotify, and probably others now are broken once you dive in. A 90% satisfaction is not an "A" in this business.

John. Are you thinking that with the new SSL requirements the autonomic units are no longer supporting Pandora and spotify?
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

I have no idea about recent changes, but I suspect that SSL to the services from Autonomic would have no direct impact on control of the Autonomic.
    The issues I described are the unique side-steps that each service requires that lie outside the layered architecture that the API describes.

Thank you all for the input on this thread. I'm thinking I will give Autonomic a shake and see how it plays out.

• Not sure if this is of any help, (it's a standalone unit and you mention RasberryPi). It's called a DFPlayer Mini from DF Robot. It's tiny, approx 15mm x 15mm x 7mm. It requires a micro SD card with all the audio files, has it's our Amp (plus digital output) and various control options. I'm setting up several controlled from a Netlinx RS232 port to provide things like Gate Open, Gate Closed audio throughout the houses. See https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1121.html. Just watch the voltage levels you send to it....

• Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 154

Lode Audio...sounds great, API is straight forward plus they have modules if you want to use them