Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPDesign 4 Installation Freezes

Several times I've tried to install TPD4 2.3.1 on a high-end Win2k system w/ tons of disk and ram.

The install gets to "copying file: C:\WINNT\Fonts\Amxbold_.ttf" and just freezes.

Every time. Tried rebooting, Tried earlier version of TPD4. Tried copying the file to the directory, then installing. Tried deleting the font, then shutting down install w/ task manager and reinstalling. Looked in registry for remnants of TPD4. No dice.

Anyone else experience/solve this?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I just got a new computer and had no difficulties at all witht he install. Previous to that, I was running on a WIn2K system with almost no RAM and very little drive space, and still had no troubles with it. Perhaps you have a corrupted file. I would re-download the installation. Also, go to your fonts folder and delte any reference to the AMX fonts in there, it's possible one of those got corrupted or locked. Make sure nothing else in your system is using them. I'm really inclined to think it's the later - Win2K is locking the file somehow, and it can't be overwritten. You may have to play with permissions.
  • youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    Hi - I tried downloading several times (and cleared the cache to make sure it was a fresh download). I deleted the file from the fonts folder explicitly, so I doubt there's a permission issue since nothing's being overwritten. Any other thoughts?

This machine has lots of other programs running fine - autocad, 3ds max, macromedia dreamweaver/flash/fireworks, adobe photoshop/premiere, etc. Nothing else has a problem, which leads me to suspect the TPD4 install package.
    -Bill
  • banobano Posts: 173
    Originally posted by youstra
    Hi - I tried downloading several times (and cleared the cache to make sure it was a fresh download). I deleted the file from the fonts folder explicitly, so I doubt there's a permission issue since nothing's being overwritten. Any other thoughts?

This machine has lots of other programs running fine - autocad, 3ds max, macromedia dreamweaver/flash/fireworks, adobe photoshop/premiere, etc. Nothing else has a problem, which leads me to suspect the TPD4 install package.
    -Bill

You may want to try to install the program directly from the website instead of downloading/installing.

Good luck!
    This never worked for me...now I tried it with the NEW TPD4 and still no luck. It freezes at exactly the same spot of install -- when it's dealing with AMXBold.ttf. I've tried all different variations on installing, deinstalling, clearing registry, etc. No dice.
    -Bill
  • tpd4 font error

I just installed new versions without incident.

XPProSP2, AutoCAD, Adobe full, all of Office, more than 400 fonts installed in Windows\Fonts. I shut down Zone Alarm Pro prior. Pentium M 1.8 w/ 1 GB RAM.

WINNT directory instead of Windows? That font looked like one of the first files copied. Number of fonts > 256 in FONTS folder???? Can't remember if that was ever an issue with Win2K.

Pallettes is great.
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Re: TPDesign 4 Installation Freezes
    Originally posted by youstra
    ... Looked in registry for remnants of TPD4. No dice.
    [/B]

Youstra, have you looked at mention of AMXBold (not TPD4, but the font itself) in the registry? When a font is installed, usually (except system font case), Windows makes a record into registry. After that, even you removed the font file, Windows will assume the font is there...

Can you look at the registry entries related to amxbold?

This is a knowledge base article Q102960 for NT but I hope it could be useful for w2k - "REG: Fonts Entries" (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;102960)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I removed the reg entry for the font but it didn't have an effect.

HOWEVER, I then tried installing from Safe Mode (F8 when you boot windows) and it worked! I then rebooted in normal mode and everything's fine.
    Final post-mortem on this:

We ran into the SAME problem installing PanelBuilder.

Then we also experienced a freeze when starting a new project in PB...it would freeze when loading the fonts.

It turns out that the way AMX apps load fonts conflicts with our resident font management program -- Extensis Suitcase.

When we turned that off, it worked fine. No more need to visit Safe Mode.

But FYI to AMX: no other apps (Adobe, 3ds, Macromedia, AutoCAD, MSO, etc, etc) have caused that conflict, so I'd point the finger at your stuff. Not a high priority, but if you're cleaning the nose of these apps one day, you might want to check it out. In the meantime, how about a cookie or a hat for the effort? :)