Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPD course

Hi everyone
Some years back I believe AMX offered a 2-3 day course on programming for the TP3 panels. If so does anyone know if there is still course material around for reference?

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I too would be very interested in seeing this as well. Visitec in Chicago was talking about offering this again, though I'm not sure if anything will come of it.
  • TPD Class
    Originally posted by jjames
    I too would be very interested in seeing this as well. Visitec in Chicago was talking about offering this again, though I'm not sure if anything will come of it.

There was very little interest when these courses were offered. Also, it is not a requirement for ACE certification.

If anyone is interested in this class, send Visitec an email requesting it. http://www.visitec.com/info.htm
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    It's too bad that there was not more interest. It still would be nice to have programming reference material available on the AMX training web-site, even though it is not an ACE required course.
    I completely agree. I feel my touchpanel programming could be improved, and I'm not just talking visual designs, but more TP efficiency. Is there anychance Visitec could post or even send PDF versions of the manuals used in this class (if there is a manual available.) If the class doesn't get going, and there is material for it, it'd be a waste to not make these available.
    Originally posted by jjames
    I'm not just talking visual designs, but more TP efficiency.
    Exactly!!, I couldn't agree more. I would like to learn how to do MORE with the panels and how to use them in multi-device mode or how to program an active feedback display for a large matrix without using up the 256 buttons.
    Originally posted by Thomas Hayes
    ...how to use them in multi-device mode or how to program an active feedback display for a large matrix without using up the 256 buttons.

See, what you just said . . . over my head. Reason why I need the class! LOL
  • wcravenelwcravenel Posts: 114
    Would also love to see more material / adavanced tools class, esp. with pallettes and templates now. I know I must be doing some things slowly or simply in TPD4.

Bill
  • tcurrytcurry Posts: 4
    TP Class Chicago June 15 & 16 2005

A Touch Panel Design class is on the Visitec AMX training schedule for June 15 & 16, 2005. Sign up is through the main AMX web site.

Unfortunately we have gotten very few signups for past classes because everyone is too busy to learn, but I am trying again.

There is no printed manual for this class.
    If the material was available in PDF or similiar form available on the training section would be the best solution. As you say many people are too busy to learn or simply their company can not afford to send them to a new course every month.
    I would suggest reading the documentation for the software program and/or the info in the program help screens.

That is the material that TPD4 classes are based on.
    Does that reading material contain theory on channel "naming"? It seems that being able to stack BUTTON_EVENTs relies greatly on the TP channel orders. Would the course cover on how to order the channels efficiently?

And are there different levels to the TPD class like programming? I think that would be pretty cool - TPD 1 could have some of the basic stuff of design - button order, button placement, using tempaltes, etc. Perhaps TPD 2 could be about color theory, designing your own templates, stuff like that.
    Generally concepts of how to number channels on TP's is discussed during programming classes.

You can still take advantage of programming efficiencies you are looking for even if buttons are randomly channelized by using a 'devchan' set. (a Prog II topic)

From Studio NetLinx Keywords Help for DEVCHAN ARRAY....

DEFINE_VARIABLE

DEVCHAN MyDCSet[ ] = { {128:1:0, 1}, {128:1:0, 2}, {128:1:0, 3} }

A DEVCHAN array can be used anywhere a [Device, Channel] specification is required with the result of providing a range of targets for the command or instruction where it is used. This implies an alternate form for the following commands:

Button[(DEVCHAN)]

The index of the last member of the array for which an event notification was triggered can be determined by calling GetLast(MyDCSet). This is useful for determining which device and channel in an array is referenced to in a particular notification message.
  • Rich AbelRich Abel Posts: 104
    TPD 4 Course

I'd love to take this class....the combination of lack of travel budget and schedule has prevented me from getting to one.

Anyone recently attended this class? How was it?

Anyone have the class materials and willing to share them?

Thanks

Rich
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I took the online version. As much as I think I know this stuff, I rarely leave such a class without learning something. Even the little things sometimes work out to be great time-savers. As I recall, that was how it went with the TPD class ... nothing earthshaking, but I picked up a couple nifty tricks that were helpful.
  • TPD4 MATERIAL

Hi everyone here is what you been looking for
    please note that this does not change the fact that you got a great advantage if you go to the class and ask the tips and tricks to the instructor and like any class it takes time and practice to make it work fine.

this material is property of AMX and is only for educational proposal

my best regads from Mexico City
    Aha! So this is where newbies get the idea of using different ports on a touch panel is the best thing since sliced bread. Shame on the training department.