Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions
Options

Design Question

Does anyone have any suggestions on a system that will control three light loads (individually and simultaneously) and be very cost efficient. I'm out of 232 ports, and would only be able to control it via IR or LAN. Quoted Vantage, and it would turn out to be about $1k a light - not very cost efficient. We're looking at the Spacer System, but not sure about it. Has anyone had any experience with the Spacer System?

Any ideas or thoughts on what product / system / solution we could use would be great!!

Comments

• Options
    What about Radia via Axlink?
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Could that be easily added to an NI-2000? I'm rather new to AMX, so my product knowledge isn't that great. A short and sweet synopsis of Radia would be awesome.
  • Options
    Very easy to add, just put the Radia box on AXlink define the device in define device and send commands like below.

DEFINE_DEVICE
    dvLTS =96:1:1 //RADIA 4CH LIGHT CONTROL

DEFINE_EVENT
    BUTTON_eVENT[PANEL4,62] //LIGHTS ON
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvLTS,'P1L100T0'
    SCRN_LTS=1
    }
    }

It's very easy

Gary
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    So design wise, I need to get an enclosure, 3 dimming modules, and 3 keypads?
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    You can get a single enclosure with a four-channel module as long as your total load is within the rating of the board.

Three keypads would be necessary if you want to have control in three locations. You could certainly control the three loads individually from one keypad. It's all about the programming.

Or you could send text messages from your cell phone to the system to control the lights. That's the way I would do it! ;)

Have fun, that's all that matters.
  • Options
    If you just want to turn things on and off, a UPC20+ can handle two 10A, 120V loads and can be driven from Relay or I/O ports.
    You could use 3 relays for control and 3 I/O ports connected to simple contact closure buttons, available at RadioShack. You could get away by only using I/O ports, but you'd had to give up discreet on/off control and make the lights toggling.
    Pretty cost effective.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You could use a Lutron Grafik Eye. They are available in up to 6 zones, support 16 scenes, and are IR controllable (or RS-232 with an external box). If the system grows, you can link them together or incorporate with an H48 sytem or a full-blown Homeworks system. The H48 is IP controllable, but I think it would be too much for what you are looking to do.