Anyone using Duet?

Is anyone using Duet?
If (true)
{
what do you think about it?
}

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I haven't seen any Java modules published to try yet, and I was way too busy when the Duet training was available in my area, so I haven't ordered Cafe Duet yet. I'm getting the impression things are a little behind, or I would have thought to at least see the promised DMS and Viewstat modules.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    I bought it and have played around a little. The documentation and tutorials are severly lacking (decided not to use the word pathetic). As with most AMX documentation, it is mostly how to navigate the software application, not how the architecture is put together. Hopefully training is better. I couldn't get the sample application working.

IMO, the real power will be whenever 2.0 comes out and you can develop your entire program in Java, if that's what fits best. I do see some interesting features that I didn't think would be there. For example, servlets and jsp appear possible, giving us the potential, finally, to write web-based clients (HTML, forms, etc) that read/write to program variables.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I had the feeling things were going slow with the software too. I know there's going to be great potential using Java, it just a matter of time before we can see the benefits.

Thanks for the info!
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    I'm glad things on the software side are slow, as my order for Cafe Duet is in bureaucratic hell. :(

Still would like to be doing SOMETHING with it...

- Chip
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    I haven't seen any Java modules published to try yet, and I was way too busy when the Duet training was available in my area, so I haven't ordered Cafe Duet yet. I'm getting the impression things are a little behind, or I would have thought to at least see the promised DMS and Viewstat modules.

Duet Module is currently available for Lutron ALDH48(can be downloaded from Inconcert).

Cheers,

Charles
    Finally got a copy of Cafe Duet!

Now the question is, do I wan't to be a true geek and bring our demo NI-2000 home over the weekend.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

- Chip
    Will the NI-2000 load the Duet firmware? I just installed a brand-new NI-3000 that shipped only days ago without being Duet capable, doesn't even have the 260/64 core needed to load it.
  • Reese JacobsReese Jacobs Posts: 347
    Anyone using Duet?

Dave,

It was my understanding, although I have not loaded Duet capable firmware on any of my Masters yet since I do not need it, that Duet firmware would load on any Master or Integrated Controller with at least 32 Mbytes of memory. That would mean the NI-700, NI-2000, NI-3000, and NI-4000 Integrated Controllers would be Duet capable along with the ME260/64 but not any of the older Masters.

Have you tried to load the Duet firmware on an NI and it failed? Just curious since the above was my understanding (not field proven) and the firmware files certainly seem to indicate those Masters/Integrated Controllers support Duet.

Reese
    Yeah, I've had the 3.0 firmware loaded for a while now - just no C.D. to take advantage of the Java support.

And AMX had us load a beta 3.0 into NI-3000s for the C.D. class...

It's only the pre-260/64 masters that can't run 3.0. :( (And yeah, do wish I could have put 3.0 on my ME w/128 meg D.O.C.)

- Chip
    Chip

Do I understand correct, you took the duet class?
    If so, what did you think of of the class, would you recommend it to others or wait until version 2.0 if out?

Thanks
    Gary, yes - I took the class. It was very good, and I would reccommend it to anyone that had an interest in writing Java code in C.D.

The more Java you know going into it, the better off you'll be. I got myself just enough up to speed (using the tutorial that comes with Sun's Java installation) to get some understanding of the language and pass the prerequisite test on AMX's site. I'm not going to say that there was anything there that went over my head, but I will say that things probably would have 'clicked' with me a bit more if I knew more about writing in Java.

Here's what I will say about the class, and my biggest gripe about the current version of C.D.: If you want to write device modules that fit into the standard templates provided with C.D., then by all means, take this class and god bless. My personal point of view is that the people writing device control modules are going to more likely be manufacturers or AMX, like they are already doing/have done with NetLinx modules for the InConcert program. I think the majority of control system programmers - the ones out in the field writing code for clients to run their AV systems and such - are going to be using these modules, not writing them.

What the class doesn't cover, and can't cover because the framework/template isn't there yet, is doing the other thing that AMX is touting Java for - writing code that runs faster, takes advantage of functionality built in to Java that the NetLinx language doesn't provide, and/or writing an entire control system program in Java. That last one isn't as much of a gripe, 'cos they did say that wouldn't be supported in the first release.

I had gotten the impression that the first release of Cafe Duet would let us write modules that would do faster processing or allow us to take advantage of J2ME's features. At the moment, you have to really do some contortions and jump through hoops to just write a module that you can pass some data to, let it do some processing, and shoot the results back to you. The instructor at the class went over what would be involved, but was unable to demonstrate/create an actual implementation of such a module.

This is what I've been waiting for in Duet, and it ain't there yet.

While it has nothing to do with the class, the biggest letdown I had while taking it was finding out that the J2ME implementation used by AMX does not have the secure web (HTTPS) access methods that J2SE has. I think there's an option to have this in any given implementation of J2ME, (I might be remembering incorrectly there) but AMX opted out of having it in theirs due to space constraints. :(

Of course, that desire was for my own personal use, so when the time comes for needing to use Duet in a project for my daytime, paying job, I'll be all set. :)

- Chip

GSLogic wrote:
    Chip
    Do I understand correct, you took the duet class?
    If so, what did you think of of the class, would you recommend it to others or wait until version 2.0 if out?
    I tried loading the Duet firmware on a brand new NI-3000 and the load failed on multiple attempts. The last file could not be recognized. I've loaded it on an ME260/64 without any problem, and the one difference is that there is a a version 2.31.139 available for the ME processors that, unless I'm missing something, is not available for the NI's. The highest NI firmware that is non-Duet is 2.31.137.
  • cwpartridgecwpartridge Posts: 120
    The Duet firmware can be loaded on a NI-2000,3000,or 4000, a NI-700, and a ME260/64. For the NI-X000 and NI-700, there are multiple steps that are documented in the readme section of the kit file. Here is a copy for those who missed it.

IMPORTANT NOTE - PLEASE READ

If you currently have a firmware build less than 300, to upgrade to Build 316
    the upgrade requires the following process:

1. Download kit with build 316 - Download of last component will fail.
    2. Reboot master
    3. Wait until you have connectivity to the master or you have a blinking
    AXLink status LED. This may take a couple of minutes.
    4. Download kit with build 316 again - Download should pass.
    5. Reboot master.
    6. Please wait. This will take a few minutes for file extraction and key SSH
    generation. When you have connectivity to the master or the AXLink LED is blinking the master is ready.
    Chip

Thanks for sharing your views on the Cafe Duet class. As I thought in the first place, I believe I'm going to wait until version 2.0.
    Perhaps an admin should break this out into another thread...

But in any case, perhaps you missed where I said I attempted to load 316 multiple times on an NI-3000 and it failed on the last file each time. I read the procedure, I followed it, it didn't work. I can't follow up on this; the unit is installed, fortunately in a system where I do not need Duet.
    The Duet firmware can be loaded on a NI-2000,3000,or 4000, a NI-700, and a ME260/64. For the NI-X000 and NI-700, there are multiple steps that are documented in the readme section of the kit file. Here is a copy for those who missed it.

IMPORTANT NOTE - PLEASE READ

If you currently have a firmware build less than 300, to upgrade to Build 316
    the upgrade requires the following process:

1. Download kit with build 316 - Download of last component will fail.
    2. Reboot master
    3. Wait until you have connectivity to the master or you have a blinking
    AXLink status LED. This may take a couple of minutes.
    4. Download kit with build 316 again - Download should pass.
    5. Reboot master.
    6. Please wait. This will take a few minutes for file extraction and key SSH
    generation. When you have connectivity to the master or the AXLink LED is blinking the master is ready.
  • cwpartridgecwpartridge Posts: 120
    I saw where you said you tried to load multiple times, but you didn't state if you rebooted between loads as stated in the notes. I was just putting the info out there in case someone hadn't seen it. I was merely stating that Duet can be loaded on a NI-2000/3000/4000 following the procedure listed, and included the procedure in case anyone missed it or was unsure of the procedure. I cannot give a hint why you could not load Duet onto a new system without having more details that you only would have at the time you attempted to load the firmware.

I was a dealer for many years before coming to AMX so I know that sometimes the notes aren't always looked at "in the heat of battle" when you are trying to get a system running and get out the door. Just trying to help out anyone who hadn't bothered to read them that might be reading this.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    I am appropriately abashed. I have another unit here I was able to try this on. I thought I was rebooting between loads, since I had that "reboot" box checked off, but apparently that only works on a full successful load. I had to do a cold reboot by cycling power to get past the first load that fails on file #4.

You weren't kidding when you said it may take a while. It may even have hung on me - after waiting several minutes with a dead unit, I cycled power again, and this time it came back up and the new firmware is loaded.