Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

IRIS Campaign

I would like to start and IR/IRIS repository campaign. First, AMX could drop the dealer price of the IRIS to $100 for one unit, but the dealer had to agree to upload all IR files created to a repository for all dealers to access.

There is really no benefit to having all dealers creating the same IR files, and its not like IR files are somehow intellectual property. The IR database is pretty out of date since A/V source equipment, tv's, monitors, projectors, etc. are coming out constantly.

What do you think, maybe someone here from AMX can float the idea internally.

Comments

• Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I am all for a cheaper IR capture unit. Some years ago I looked into one and it was $1000+ here in Canada. The rate at which new product comes out it is impossible for any company including AMX to stay on top of it. I know that they don't have the codes for a new DVD/VHS combo unit that is 'zone free' which I just ordered. Also I have found some of the codes to be missing some very impotant commands. ex: JVC C25/C33 DVD/VHS combo unit did not include the command to select the DVD or VHS (a rather important command to be missing) Lucky that an earlier model command worked and I just imported it using IR edit. Great suggestion!! maybe someone at AMX could do something about the price. Lower the price, add a IR upload to the forums page, take the files and format them to their standards and add it to IR database for all the clients.
  • KevinKKevinK Posts: 29
    Sonny and Thomas,

I've tried going this route with the folks at AMX before. The reason they don't support uploaded IR database is that they have no physical confirmation that we've learned the IR codes corectly. They are happy to add one of your remotes to the database they have, if you ship the remote to Dallas and let them play with it for a little while. I've done this a couple of times when I was having trouble learning with my IRIS. It takes a little time, but the results are guaranteed.
    The only option for us is to start a private database, not directly associated with AMX, but then there can be no discount on the IRIS. :(

Kevin
  • syslocksyslock Posts: 45
    Hi Guys / AMX

I can understand the need for quality control on the database, maybe AMX can just supply us with an online suppository where we can upload IR files with some kind of rating system.

Cheers
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    Many software companies offer repositories of public provided modules, code samples, etc. Simply marking them as public and "As Is" takes the responsibility out of the hands of the company.
    Hi everyone:
    Perhaps a self managed IR database located in the ACE section of Forums. As Sonny mentioned have it marked 'AS IS' or AMX un-verified. If someone finds a problem with a IR file then they could get in touch with the person who created it and asked to have it verified for the fault they are getting. I know AMX offers free IR capture but sometimes you can't wait 1+ weeks for it. If we could get a few more people online with this maybe AMX would look into setting up a beta-test site for us.:)
  • KevinKKevinK Posts: 29
    Thomas,

Bravo for the thought of starting a Peer-Evaluated IR database. I love the idea and hope the good people at AMX get behind it. (Brownie Points for the compliment?)

KevinK votes "Aye!"
    Thanks Kevin
    I am glad that Sonny took the initial step to post this question to everyone. He seems to have sparked some interest in such a IR database. Lets hope that the 'powers to be' will maybe take notice and run with the ball on this one.(At least a beta site). Count my vote as a big YES!
  • Hi Kids, Moderator here. :-)
    As you may notice, the Training Forum has added a place for ACE Certified folks to upload/download IR files. YAY! See, we are listening. :-)
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    Awesome, thank you
  • How does one gain access to this? When I logout, I can see the IR & Code Samples database forums but can't read the content within them. After I login, they disappear.

I would think these forums should be public, or at least made accessible to anyone who has an account here. Is there any particular reason they are being restricted? Seems they could benefit all of your customers. There are a lot of us end-users who write our own code.
    Hi AMXhobbyist
    I believe the IR and codes are located in the ACE section of the forums. You need to be an ACE member to have access. If there is a particular code or IR file that you are looking for send me an e-mail or just put a tread out. I am sure that someone would be willing to help. I am not sure if you have tried to download any files lately but unless you have been granted access forget it, they have that locked out now.(From what I hear everyone had to reapply for their previous access levels.) I not sure of all the reasons but I am sure AMX felt it was something that needed to be done.
    Thanks for the 'IR' and 'code sample' section AMX. I am sure that it will work out, as long as everyone remember that it is not AMX verified and to not criticize what/how others program. Cheers!
  • I am not sure if you have tried to download any files lately but unless you have been granted access forget it, they have that locked out now.(From what I hear everyone had to reapply for their previous access levels.)
    I just downloaded the latest version of Netlinx Studio a couple of days ago. If AMX is locking out access to download their files, I'm going to have to make a few phone calls. That doesn't seem appropriate; the files are necessary to use the hardware. If I want to program my own hardware, as a customer I should be allowed access to the files, should I not?

I realize this is not a question for you, but for AMX. Perhaps someone from the company will respond here.

I don't need anything specific from the IR and codes section. I'd simply like to browse it. I might come across something I never knew I always wanted. ;) For that matter, I would like to share my own code. I have written the code to talk to a X-10 CM11A "Activehome" interface , and would like to post it for others.

Perhaps an AMX employee can post here and shed some light on why one must be an "ACE member" in order to contribute to, or download from, this newly created database. I'd be interested in knowing the reasons behind the decision. There are a lot of us hobbyists writing code for our own systems who would find the information valuable.

Optionally, I don't mind playing by someone else's rules. How do I become an ACE member? I'd be happy to go down that path if it is necessary., assuming it doesn't require me to spend a lot of money. I'd rather spend my money on more AMX hardware. :)
  • Access to Downloads, Code Forums

Anyone with a valid AMX Account number associated with their AMX.com account should have access to the Dealer section and to downloads. Only those with invalid or missing Account Numbers were restricted from the secure areas of the site. This restriction paves the way for really cool content enhancements in the future.

If you are having trouble accessing downloads, please double check that your AMX.com account information is up-to-date and contains an AMX Account Number. Your account number can be found on any AMX invoice or by calling Customer Service at 800.222.0193 or +1.469.624.7153.

Code Databases
    The IR and Code Samples databases were creating in the ACE Forum per the request of our forum users. For more information on becoming ACE Certified, please visit The Training Area on amx.com (this part is secure, so you may be asked to login).

If you have any further questions about access rights, please feel free to contact me at suzanne.youngblood@amx.com or call Customer Service at the numbers above.

Thanks!
  • Thank you, Suzanne!
  • Becoming ACE

The question was posed about how to become ACE. This process is described on the website in the training section, but I'll give a brief overview.

ACE is made up of three areas of specialization, Designer, Installer, Programmer. To become certified in any area you must pass the associated exam which is made up of an online written exam and a submitted practical exam. Once both exams have been passed you are considered certified in that area. Each area has different classes which are designed to prepare you for your exams and real life. If you become certified in all three areas you are considered an AMX Certified Expert.

Again, please check out the training page on AMX.com for more information.

Have a great day!

Michael
  • Hello Everyone,

I saw that a lot of people is concern by IR file. But what about protocol. We encounter hear in frensh some problem to find the protocole.

Maybee AMX can add a forum to share this type of file as sample code or IR file...

Fabrice, ACE
  • AdaptelAdaptel Posts: 41
    IRIS-Compatible Clone

I am an EE and am contemplating designing an IRIS compatible clone unit. I have studied the workings of my IRIS unit extensively and am confident I can design a low-cost Atmel Atemega128 based board that could caputure in AMX format (among others) and talk to IREdit. I was wondering if there is any interest in such a device, around the price pint of $175-$200.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    If anyone would like IR files made, you can send me the remote control and I'll do it for you. I have an IRIS and use it quite often.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    As a dealer, I would be quite hesitant to purchase such a device. The product from AMX is only $500 or $600 iirc. Altho your device costs less than half, I worry about support issues and subtle incompatibilities that manifest themselves in weird and unpredictable ways. As for end users, it would probably be cheaper for them to ask a local dealer or maybe even a forum member for codes if they need only 1 or 2 remotes learned.

But, that's just my opinion.

Jeff

Adaptel wrote:
    I am an EE and am contemplating designing an IRIS compatible clone unit. I have studied the workings of my IRIS unit extensively and am confident I can design a low-cost Atmel Atemega128 based board that could caputure in AMX format (among others) and talk to IREdit. I was wondering if there is any interest in such a device, around the price pint of $175-$200.
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Well, it's $258, but there's already a 3rd party learner out there...

http://www.engo.com/productdetail.aspx?p=1001

- Chip