Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Irl Transfer

The device in question is numbered 301:15:0 its a hughes hd receiver. Im swapping it out with a Hughes HD Tivo. I have the .IRL.
Before I start messing with it. I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
Through NetLinx Studio, tools, file transfer, and map the .irl to 301:15:0.
Is that all I need to do. Send and reboot the master??

Comments

• shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Aside from the additional programming needed to add all the TIVO specific functions, that's it. All you really need todo is send the IR, no reboot needed.

Kevin D.
  • ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    Thanks...yes I understand the Tivo portion has to be programmed in..Its not working I must be doing something wrong. I will have to consult with my programmer after the weekend..
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    The only other issue that I can think of is that with all the additional commands for the TIVO plus the fact some of the commands might not be labeled the same...you might have an issue of both IRL files not being hot swappable. IE, 'up' on the old IRL may not be 'up' on the new one.

Do any of the codes work? You need to get IREDIT. You can load the IRL file in there. With that you can connect to the master, send the file, verify the file, and test all the commands...

Good luck,

Kevin D.
  • wcravenelwcravenel Posts: 114
    Adele,

Look for another post re: HD Tivo. I will only speak for myself: I found that a difficult device to get solidly under control, especially for favorites. But I now have at least 5 of them working very well (NXI and NI-3000/4000's).

My IRL and sample code are in the other post, as well as some very good suggestions from others on favorites code.

Bill Ravenel
  • ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    Thanks. After making my own file it works well...Still have to have the TIVO programmed in
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    shr00m-dew wrote:
    Aside from the additional programming needed to add all the TIVO specific functions, that's it. All you really need todo is send the IR, no reboot needed.

Kevin D.
    Actually, I've once or twice had to reboot an NI before the IR file I had just loaded would work. I have yet to detect the pattern for this failure, but if you ever have an issue iwth a newly loaded IR file, try rebooting.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    DHawthorne wrote:
    Actually, I've once or twice had to reboot an NI before the IR file I had just loaded would work. I have yet to detect the pattern for this failure, but if you ever have an issue iwth a newly loaded IR file, try rebooting.

I have to take this back - it just happened to me on another system, and I narrowed it down to the "SP" SEND_COMMAND. It appears under some circumstances, an NI system won't respond to 'SP', even direct from a Telnet session. Oddly enough, PULSE and 'CP' will still work when 'SP' will not. Reboot the NI, it works again, at least for a while. Methinks I found a bug...and I am confident it is only in the NI chassis.
  • Reese JacobsReese Jacobs Posts: 347
    Irl Transfer

I don't use the NI controllers a great deal but recently we used one on a job and I ran into similar problems with the IR on a Dish Network DVR device. We captured the IR codes using IRIS and then loaded the file onto IR port #2. It worked great for about an hour and then the IR port hung (note: we use SP for our IR driver). When the IR port hung, we were hitting the device pretty hard changing channels including many of the Sirius music channels which require 4-digit channel codes. Once the port hung, we had to re-boot to restore normal operation to the port. It happened again and after that, we moved the IR file in question (and of course the device assignment) to a different port on the NI and we have not had a problem since then. There seems to be nothing wrong with the IR file and the Tivo/DVR module has been used for years without problems so we too felt the anomaly was NI specific. If the customer reported additional problems, we were going to add an NXC-IRS4 in a module shell and use it for the IR port instead of the NI. We have had great luck with them with the IR files/devices for Dish and Direct DVRs.

Interesting to hear that others might be having similar problems.

Reese
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    There's a problem with the .118 firmware on the NI series that means that eventually the unit will stop responding to SP commands.

If you rollback the firmware to .115 this problem goes away.

I've bugged them occasionaly about when they're going to fix this but it's yet to happen.