Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

NEC WT600/WT610 Lamp Strike Failure

I have a trio of NEC WT610 projectors intended for a semi-permanent installation, and I need to know a way to reset them if/when they have a lamp-fails-to-strike event. I just had such an event occur on one of those units in my lab, and the only way I had at that time to regain control of the projector was to use the manual power switch.

We've had to service an almost identical install, using the WT600's, with the same problem, twice now.

Has anyone faced anything like this and successfully 1. sensed the condition, and 2. brought the projector back to normal operation via software/serial?

Thanks, all.

Comments

• Yes and No. Yes I have seen this problem (not only with NEC) and no I haven't been able to correct it with my program. I believe that when this error occurs that it puts the projector into a 'lock down' mode and only a hard power kill will reset the unit. I have been thinking about using a controllable relay on the AC of the projector that would perform this hard kill whenever the projector fails to respond to a burst of commands but haven't been able to test this option as yet.
  • Yes and No. Yes I have seen this problem (not only with NEC) and no I haven't been able to correct it with my program. I believe that when this error occurs that it puts the projector into a 'lock down' mode and only a hard power kill will reset the unit. I have been thinking about using a controllable relay on the AC of the projector that would perform this hard kill whenever the projector fails to respond to a burst of commands but haven't been able to test this option as yet.

Thanks, Thomas.

One possibility which I've heard of regarding the projector's action after a strike failure is that it will wait for one entire cooldown period before it will entertain any further control requests.

What I ended up doing was exactly what you suggest: if I get a startup error from the projector I have a relay port on the master pulse a larger relay controlling power to the projector, wait, then restore power, then attempt to strike the lamp again.
  • Glad to suggest something that works. I haven't tried the other suggestion but wonder if the projector is not responding how do you get the projector to cycle the cool down? I should add that I would use a relay that allows the AC to pass when no power is applied to the coil and cut the AC when the coil is energized. This way if the controller locks up, relay coil fails there will still be AC to the projector. I guess this would be a N.C. type relay. :)