Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

MVP8400 and camera images

Does anyone know of a IP camera server that also serves jpg images?

Thanks!

Comments

• yep.. sure do
  • but really, i should detail it for u :)

i am using a Axis ip video server. it takes composite in.
    the model i am using is a one video source device, but multiple inputs are possible on other models. you would need to program it over http to control input selection.

when i can, i will chase down the model details, it's onsite at customer's house.

i then use it for jpeg motion feed, setting the panel to read the stream every 0.5 secs or so. it will also feed as jpeg still images.

this works reasonably well, the device is roughly $300 Australian.

some limitations are...

it will not supply an image greater then 320x240. i guess it would be quite a bit of data going much larger.

i need to check, but i wonder if the stream is continuing to feed, even when the panel has stopped viewing it. (not so much a server issue but a panel issue).

and now i am about to test a Taiwanese MPEG4 Video server. (SED-2100S). will provide an update once that is done.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm using the Axis too, and have no complaints. They make IP cameras as well as the servers themselves, you can find out more at www.axis.com .
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Thanks for the info!
  • Does the Axis camera serve motion-jpeg as well, we're using the Axis 2411 video server and that serves up motion-jpeg so you can utilize the dynamo feature of the Modero Touchpanels. I think this works a little better then just a plain jpeg. The 2411 allows 704X480 and 352X288.
  • Taiwanese MPEG4 Video server. (SED-2100S).

i tried the Taiwanese MPEG4 Video server. (SED-2100S).

they also has a variant in the form of a Day/Night Camera.

but i can't get anything from it to the panels. it's MPEG4.

and requires an ActiveX component in IE.

so not much good to us. i wonder if i missed something, is there a way to stream MPEG4 to wireless panels, anyone ?

and thanks for the dynamo reminder. will revisit that for the motion jpeg on the Axis system.
  • dynamo

oh ok, dynamo is dynamic image with refresh rate set to zero.

simple enough. i was looking for a some kind of option to set :)
  • ditto on AXIS

been using these with pretty decent results. Here at our office I used one to display the gui for a kaleidescape and control it via x,y pushes. really works slick!

also awhile back I posted the path here:

http://hostname.or.ip/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi
  • I am going to try my first IP Server and I see that AXIS has one with Audio and Video - Axis 241SA Video Server. I wonder if we could also stream audio? Anyways, is there a module or piece of code that I need to load in my Netlinx Master to make the video stream? What about the MVP8400, what is needed to be done in TP4 Design? Could any of you guys out there share the details.
    The video server will be used only inside a local network out of a Autopatch output.

Thanks,

Ricardo
  • Ok, I downloaded Tech Note #682, which details how to use the Dynamo feature. Now, Is there any public stream video, and what's the settings (Host IP, Path, File), that I could configure my Dynamic Image to test this feature on a MVP8400?

Thanks,

Ricardo
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I am going to try my first IP Server and I see that AXIS has one with Audio and Video - Axis 241SA Video Server. I wonder if we could also stream audio? Anyways, is there a module or piece of code that I need to load in my Netlinx Master to make the video stream? What about the MVP8400, what is needed to be done in TP4 Design? Could any of you guys out there share the details.
    The video server will be used only inside a local network out of a Autopatch output.

Thanks,

Ricardo
    As far as I know, there isn't currently a way to stream audio to an MVP.

To set up the video, create a dynamic image with the appropriate data from your Axis server - URL to the server, login, parameters for the picture size. As I recall, I had no trouble finding what I needed in the Axis interface to populate the TPD4 forms for the dynamic image. It runs something like this:

Protocol = HTTP
    Host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy (IP port of server, as per your setup)
    Path = axis-cgi/mjpg
    File = video.cgi?resolution=4CIF&camera=1 (4CIF is the large view, just CIF is 1/4 size, camera number for multiple input boxes)
    user/password: as per your setup
  • Thanks, DHawthorne. I want to try my setup without the Axis, which is on order, by using a public stream video server over the Internet. My Modero is ready. Any ideas and what are the settings of the public server?

Thanks,

Ricardo
  • if you want to view a public webcam, try this one..

it's Anzac Bridge, Sydney Australia.

create a dynamic image with the following settings..

protocol: http
    host: rta.nsw.gov.au
    path: trafficreports/cameras/camera_images
    file: 034.jpg

leave user name and password blank.

set refresh rate for 1800 (3 minutes) (go less if you like)

you will then see the closest bridge to my part of the world. :)

apparently, if the source is a motion jpeg (this example isn't), you can set the refresh rate to zero and be able to receive the video stream at the fastest available frame rate.

there are many more cameras around the world that can be hooked in the dynamic image. whereever you find a webcam, try to get the full address by right-clicking on the image and select properties. then select and copy the address into an editor, and break it up into the required options for dynamic images.
  • if you want to view a public webcam, try this one..

it's Anzac Bridge, Sydney Australia.

Looks pretty quiet at 3 AM your time. :)

I've done that right click -> properties thing to get dynamic weather maps and cam servers on modero panels before - it's fun. In fact, I think that's one of the first things I did when we got our TPI4 demo unit. (The first G4 device my company got to actually play with)

- Chip
  • I just got an Axis 241S single camera video server and I am having a little trouble with the settings. This is for an internal LAN only. I can see the Axis video when I use my web browser and point to http://192.168.1.113. Here is waht I have done:

Protocol = HTTP
    Host = 192.168.1.113:???? - I am not sure of the Port Number or how to configure one or even if I need one?????
    Path = axis-cgi/mjpg
    File = video.cgi?resolution=2CIFEXP

Any Ideas on what am I missing or where I can see the port number or use the default one? Thanks,

Ricardo
  • I found the problem. I needed to check mark 'Enable anonymous viewer login' under the user settings of the Axis 241s. You don't need a port number for a local LAN. Here is my working settings:

Protocol = HTTP
    Host = 192.168.1.113
    Path = axis-cgi/mjpg
    File = video.cgi?resolution=2CIFEXP&camera=1
    Refresh = 1 (*Note: with refresh 0 image was freezing after a while or when I went from one dynamo image to another)

Now, what is the best compression and frames/second to set the Axis to? I am using:
    Resolution = 2CIFEXP (* 704x480 rescaled on server side - 4CIF was to high)
    Compression = 50 (* Still shows a decent image)
    Frames/s = 10 (* I noticed that the b wireless protocol limits the MVP8400 ability to render anything better than 15 frames/s on a 704x480. Hopefully there will be a G wireless upgrade in the future)

Any suggestions to improve?Thanks.

Ricardo
  • good to hear you have it working.

i would suggest that you can never expect more than 15 frames per second from all but the highest-end product. i wouldn't expect much more would be achievable from jpeg/motion jpeg.

would be glad to hear from anyone who can get it smoother/faster.
  • youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    Lorex L4202 about $260 at Amazon - will it work?

The axis are about $1k each as I recall, which is too steep for what we've got going...though I did see this Lorex recently. Can someone who's more clued in than me take a look at the specs? I'd appreciate a quick take on whether this'd work to feed vid to an MVP via dymo.

They've got a spec sheet and manual in pdf at the link below.

http://lorexstore.strategicvista.com/product.aspx?id=825&nav=3

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

-Bill
  • I looked at the specs and the online manual at the Lorex Site and noticed the following:

1) Only 2 resolution settings: 640 x 480 and 320 x 240
    Note: You won't be able to fill the screen on a Modero panel with 800 x 600 and up. But you can't do that with the Axis either 704 x 480

2) It uses its proprietary software to manage the video server versus a regular web browser like the Axis.

However, the price is very good for a 2 channel video server. If you can get it from a store that accepts returns in case you are not satisfied, this may be a good alternative to the Axis. But without testing it and looking at the image quality, it is hard to recommend. One good thing about the Axis server is the ability to tweak the image quality and use different resolutions.

Sincerely,

Ricardo
  • i haven't checked the specs of the Lorex video server, but i get worried when they require their own software or a Java enabled browser to view the video stream.

for dynamic images to work in the MVP, the video server needs to put out jpeg images. then, within the dynamic image definition of the panel, set the refresh rate to zero (0). the image will then update whenever a new jpeg image is ready. this can give you roughly 15 frames per second of dynamic jpeg, depending on the video server and overhead.

bascially, if you cannot browse to a jpeg image from you pc (without using java or software) then the video server will not support the MVP.

here is an example of typing in the web address. ...

http://rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficreports/cameras/camera_images/305.jpg

note the line ends with FILENAME.jpg .. that's what is needed.