Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Lighting control options

Hello everyone!

What are you all using for lighting controls these days? I've got a bunch of old RADIA equipment (RDD-DM6/120, etc) that still works, but a few modules have started to fail and none of these are able to dim modern LED lighting (no surprise since they were built in the 1990s). I've been able to find used spares on eBay but this is not a long term solution.

I'd like to upgrade them but I have no idea what to look for. I love the smooth dimming controls and how easy these are to talk to from my Netlinx controller. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• I Have Lutron QS. Wouldnt have anything else if I had the choice!

• viningvining Posts: 4,368

I think Lutron QSX is now out.

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177

A lot depends upon where you're doing the lighting. In the Resi/Small Biz world there are really few choices that actually allow for 3rd party control. IMHO Lutron is the only good choice right now. If you're going higher-end commercial or industrial, the field opens up a bit.

• amxhomeamxhome Posts: 2

Thank you for your responses. I have a small commercial building that I outfit with RADIA lighting years ago, so the circuits in question are already home-run and controllable through my Netlinx system. The RADIA stuff is great but is definitely aging out. I'm not familiar with Lutron's products but I will look into them. I assume there are Netlinx modules for the Lutron stuff? I'll do some searching.

One issue I may run into is I'm not a dealer or integrator. I'm a hobbyist. It seems to be hit & miss whether higher end suppliers will sell to me or provide me with technical documentation. I've been using AMX equipment in my home for about 20 years, started with an Axcent3 and some touch panels I found at a wholesale auction and it just grew from there. When I retrofit my commercial building, AMX was the natural choice. So I write my own code and install the hardware myself.

• viningvining Posts: 4,368

Depending on size of the project Lutron RA2 may work is and available online. 100 devices max for essential and 200 for inclusive. Getting the software might be an issue especially if you need the inclusive.

• I'm going to use P5 future now modules in my next project.Its IP and easy to use