Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Tips and Tricks

Key Digital HD1080P and AMX

Just came back from visiting one of our installations and while I was there I noticed that the installed Key Digital Scaler KD-HD1080P (HD LEEZA) had all of it's blue lights on (except the SDI light) and was no longer functioning. I spoke to Key Digital's tech support and they had noted that on several occasions, when the HD LEEZA/HD1080P is connected to an AMX controller via RS-232, upon reboot of both devices at the same time -- which happens during a power outage -- the HD1080P firmware gets completely erased. Of course, I didn't have a laptop on site, and had no way of reloading firmware (which will prompt another 3 hour up, 3 hour down roundtrip, but that's another story). But if what the mfg.'s tech support said was true, you will need to remove pin 9 from the DB9 connector going into the Key Digital to prevent this erasure of firmware upon simultaneous reboot.

We'll be able to remove pin 9, and confirm if the problem is resolved in a few days, but just wanted to post this in case anyone else has this situation existing or is about to be in this situation with an install. Right before you shut down for the Holidays, that's of course when you'll have this issue occur :). Let's see... "How important is it for you to see the image on the screen when you're watching a movie Mr. Client?"

--John

Comments

• My response in the form of a question: Why would your RS232 cable have pins 1, 4, 6 OR 9 connected in the first place? Should only have 2, 3, 5 and perhaps 7 & 8.

AMX DB-9 com ports do not carry standard RS232 signals on pins 1, 4, 6 & 9, so hooking them up in an RS232 application causes problems in MANY situations...

Sorry to hear about that round trip - that's a killer. :(

- Chip
  • Chip Moody wrote:
    My response in the form of a question: Why would your RS232 cable have pins 1, 4, 6 OR 9 connected in the first place? Should only have 2, 3, 5 and perhaps 7 & 8.

AMX DB-9 com ports do not carry standard RS232 signals on pins 1, 4, 6 & 9, so hooking them up in an RS232 application causes problems in MANY situations...

Sorry to hear about that round trip - that's a killer. :(

- Chip

Very true Chip, last week I had an Extron SW6 that refused to work manually took a few minutes to realize that they had used a prefab cable were each pin was hooked up. I replaced it with the 2,3,5 and Wham, Bam, Thank you.
  • So I guess the tip is not "cut pin 9 when installing a KDHD1080", but rather make sure you don't use extraneous pins when connecting your gear :).

My technician used a standard RS232 cable which we had readily available. Since we haven't run across problems in the past, it didn't seem like a big deal. So, hopefully our error will still serve as a good tip! Since the folks at Key Digital had experience with this problem, I'm guessing we're not the only ones who use full pinned cables. Your responses are alway very helpful Chip and yours too Thomas.

Thanks also for your sympathy on the drive time -- Los Angeles traffic is definitely a pain in the booty :).

--John
  • Thanks also for your sympathy on the drive time -- Los Angeles traffic is definitely a pain in the booty :).

--John

Hmmm... Now I'm wondering if I should take my sympathy back and replace it with mild envy. After all, I'm in frozen NJ, and you're in sunny La-la land. :)

- Chip
  • Maybe you will need to take back that sympathy -- 74 degrees here in San Diego today :)
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Rub it in John, were getting a mixing pot of snow (10 cm already down) freezing rain (late last night) and now back to snow (4-6 cm expected) and then dropping to -11 by tonight. Just an idea of what this does to our traffic- it took me 2 hrs longer to get home last night. +74 and women in swim suits sure beats us at -11 and everyone in parkas.(so you can't tell if their men or women.)
  • Yikes!

Did I mention we have job openings? :)

(BTW, currently 82 degrees at the beach :cool: )

--John
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Rub it in John, were getting a mixing pot of snow (10 cm already down) freezing rain (late last night) and now back to snow (4-6 cm expected) and then dropping to -11 by tonight. Just an idea of what this does to our traffic- it took me 2 hrs longer to get home last night. +74 and women in swim suits sure beats us at -11 and everyone in parkas.(so you can't tell if their men or women.)

Obviously you haven't been to Florida or California when the temps hit the high 60s and low 70s .... THEY WEAR PARKAS and Run specials on HOT Chocolate at the 7/11 :P

Jeff