Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions
Options

Inexpensive Movie Server ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JOHNBONZJOHNBONZ Posts: 99
    AMX controlling Plex

I downloaded Plex and store my movies on a stand alone computer- call it a movie server. I then access this movie server from other computers using Plex interface - IP address - http://192.168.1.3:32400/web/index.html
    Now I want AMX to also access and control. Has anyone done this?
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    JOHNBONZ wrote: »
    I downloaded Plex and store my movies on a stand alone computer- call it a movie server. I then access this movie server from other computers using Plex interface - IP address - http://192.168.1.3:32400/web/index.html
    Now I want AMX to also access and control. Has anyone done this?

Not with Plex. It has been done with XBMC in the past, but they moved everything to JSON-RPC. It hasn't been touched since.

I was personally considering writing a module for it and selling it, but I honestly doubt it would be high in demand. It would mean spending a lot of time on development for a few sales. So unless I could sell the modules for $10k a piece it wouldn't really be viable.

On an iOS device you could just launch a PLEX (or KODI) remote app. Achieving what you want to do in a much cheaper fashion. (This doesn't give you the control you probably want on native AMX devices)

Edit: nevermind, R Verstappen has attempted it, see:
    https://github.com/rverstappen/AMX

He hasn't touched it since four years ago so I don't know if it works.

Edit2:

I checked the module out, but it's still using HTTP requests so it won't work any more. You would need to write a JSON-RPC module.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    A group of PLEX enthusiasts are working on a splinter PLEX revision that restores many of the lost functions including external control. Their topic is among the most active on the PLEX forums, which rival AMX's for breadth and depth... and politic.
  • Options

I just use my old desktop I built in 2012. Still going strong. I did just give it a new power supply and cpu cooler. Just set up an RDP client and fill that with HDDs.

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

Since someone woke up this topic after six years of silence, I thought I'd update the control issues for PLEX for anyone still in the dark.

First, PLEX is now on AppleTV, NVIDIA Shield, ROKU, PC, Android, iOS, and TV's, there's no end of choices for clients. Back to the issue of control, as discussed above, PLEX abandoned direct IP control of the PC Media Player version client years back. They recently even announced they were discontinuing the PC client, but massive complaints reversed that decision. Best control solution for using PLEX PLAYER on PC is to use a FLIRC IR to USB adapter to emulate keyboard presses. Look up FLIRC on the web... good and cheap and powerful.