Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

AMX and Sonos Integration

Has any one integrated any of the Sonos Distributed Audio Products into AMX with any success???

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Nearly impossible as it's a completely closed system :(

Use Slimboxes that is Open Source and works a lot better :D

Vince
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Or Roku SoundBridge! :eek:
  • joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    Sonos is controlled via UPnP
    jgf0926 wrote:
    Has any one integrated any of the Sonos Distributed Audio Products into AMX with any success???

Sonos is a UPnP based device. I am working on implementing a UPnP stack in Duet. If it proves to be too slugish, Sonos integration will require an external gateway device. I've controlled the Sonos via my code in other devices such as Roku HD1000, Win32, and Linux.

If you don't see a post from me on the subject of Sonos in a couple of months, send me a private message.
  • RusRus Posts: 3
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Just to bring this back from the dead. Does anyone know if a module has been written for the Sonos? I tried to see if I could control it the other day and I can, but having more documentation would be nice to make full use of all the features.
    Paul
  • joelw wrote: »
    Sonos is a UPnP based device. I am working on implementing a UPnP stack in Duet. If it proves to be too slugish, Sonos integration will require an external gateway device. I've controlled the Sonos via my code in other devices such as Roku HD1000, Win32, and Linux.

If you don't see a post from me on the subject of Sonos in a couple of months, send me a private message.

I've looked into this in the past with no luck. Are you using existing java upnp libraries or starting from scratch?
  • uPnP control for Sonos

Hi

I did a bit of research for the sonos devices but Sonos tend to keep their info under wraps so its not that easy.
    I've just written a Netlinx module for uPnP support for the Linn DS Media Renderer - which has taken a while, to say the least - and now happily controls a mixture of upto 20 upnp media renderers and servers. I have to say that in Netlinx, this is not an easy project the XML parsing alone is a trial!
    But back to Sonos, there is no real info available. However, if you fancy taking it on I would recommend that you download the Intel UPNP development tools which will allow you to see any upnp devices on the network and show you the services & devices within the Media renderer/server wrappers.

If you can't find the tools, if you private mail me I can probably find them, zip them and send them to you.

Duncan
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    in Netlinx, this is not an easy project the XML parsing alone is a trial!

This is why I think a Duet module might be more appropriate.
    Paul
  • I understand what you are saying regarding Duet. However, I have to say that mine works a treat and for 20 uPNP devices, my module is only 700kb in size. Some of the duet stuff ive seen is huge in size and you have to bear in mind that the Duet firmware itself takes up over 22mb of free volatile RAM, so in big projects you have to be careful how you structure your code.

Anyway, your choice!

Duncan
  • Linn DS module

Hi Duncan any chance of a copy of your DS module?

Thanks

Steven

Hi

I did a bit of research for the sonos devices but Sonos tend to keep their info under wraps so its not that easy.
    I've just written a Netlinx module for uPnP support for the Linn DS Media Renderer - which has taken a while, to say the least - and now happily controls a mixture of upto 20 upnp media renderers and servers. I have to say that in Netlinx, this is not an easy project the XML parsing alone is a trial!
    But back to Sonos, there is no real info available. However, if you fancy taking it on I would recommend that you download the Intel UPNP development tools which will allow you to see any upnp devices on the network and show you the services & devices within the Media renderer/server wrappers.

If you can't find the tools, if you private mail me I can probably find them, zip them and send them to you.

Duncan
  • DS Module

Hi Steven

Unfortunately I cant just hand it out(something about having a mortgage to pay!), it cost me a fortune in development time and I sell it as a finished product - sold quite a few in the last couple of weeks.

Duncan
  • SteexSteex Posts: 7
    Sonos integration through a Sire control

Hi guys,

I know this thread is old but ... here is what i do

I'm using a Sire control SS1 to control several sonos amp & connects... works fine, a bit pricey but the protocol is super easy ... with their code examples i had mine installed and running under an hour ...

check their website for info uk based company
  • anyone use AMX with SONOS?
    I use this module from "true" Version 0.0.2
    It works but feedbacks are sometimes assignt to a wrong zone..
    Probably anyone has got a solution or a working module for up to 14 zones on a nx controller
    thanks

• sling100sling100 Posts: 123

I've done some work with Sonos, and once you get the IP ports working properly it's actually OK - just very resource heavy as the SOAP packets are massive (and all in XML).

Check that the players are being identified properly - the event feedback uses a server port on the NX, so it doesn't follow that the same player is going to use the same port every time. Either use the DATA.SOURCEIP string to identify which player has actually connected, or parse the NOTIFY header as this also contains the IP of the connected unit.

Simon

• Update the "true" Version

*-----------------------
    * Version 0.0.3 / 20. Dec. 2021
    * Add / Bugfix by Jud (thomas.jud@kilchenmann.ch)
    *-----------------------
    * Refactoring for workable with Sonos S1 and S2
    * Refactoring for workable with NX Controllers
    * Update UPNP Timeout to 13h (every 12h must send a new regsister over all speaker)
    * Bugfixing with S2 IP Adress Feedback
    * Bugfixing for NX Conrtrollers
    * Bugfixing with Feedback Zone (use now the NOTIFY in Header)
    * Add GROUPTOPOLOGY
    * Add Line In Bugfix
    * Add Radio Body
    * Limited to 20 Sonos Speaker Zones
    * Add some new functions in string.axi

https://www.file.io/download/4ULWKLZh036R

• Don't know if this was intended, but I get this error message: "The file you requested has been deleted"

• feddxfeddx Posts: 167

Thanks for this. Really. But I am curious, is there some sort of documentation? Next month I am doing a pretty simple system with a few Sonos Ports with pretty generic control.

• thomas.judthomas.jud Posts: 42

the best documentation is the code :-)
    No sorry no documentation.. if you have any questions please write.
    For a AMX nativ is it very straight forward..

A screenshot is included.