Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

gmail smtp alternative

hy guys, do you have an alternative to gmail for smtp email sending ?
from 30.05.2022 google ended smtp support, so i cannot send email from amx controllers.
i tried gmx, office365, yahoo, but on all of them i get:

MailSenderPrivate::Send authentication error 4 (Unknown error code)

i am using netlinx studio ver 4.4, all my netlinx controller are updated with the last firmware(i have nx1200, ni 3100, and ni700 controllers).
this is my config for email (gmx example below)

DEFINE_DEVICE
dvMAIL_SERVICE = 0:5:0

define_constant
CHAR server[] = 'mail.gmx.com'
CHAR SMTPport[] = '587'
CHAR username[] = 'mymail@gmx.com'
CHAR password[] = 'pass'
CHAR fromuser[] = 'mymail@gmx.com'

DEFINE_START
SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET(SMTP_ADDRESS,server)
SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET(SMTP_PORT_NUMBER,SMTPport)
SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET(SMTP_USERNAME, username)
SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET(SMTP_PASSWORD, password)
SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET(SMTP_FROM, fromuser)
SMTP_SERVER_CONFIG_SET(SMTP_REQUIRE_TLS, SMTP_TLS_TRUE)

Comments

• emdx71emdx71 Posts: 42

Google recently shut off smtp authentication for anything that's not using 2FA, so its likely this is why this no longer works. I'm not sure if there will be a way around this.

• davedavezdavedavez Posts: 3
    You need to set up an "app-specific password". SMTP is still supported, but not with username/password logins anymore.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

App-specific passwords don't look like the solution - they are described as though you create one on the client, preemptively an android by the instructions.

• davedavezdavedavez Posts: 3
    They are completely platform agnostic, created via a web page. I use them for any device that doesn't support OAUTH or 2FA. I can see that the wording may be a little unclear, but when you get to the app-specific password page, click "select app", choose "custom" from the menu and name it whatever you like. Click done and a pop up will appear with the password.