Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Intro / Welcome Section

There was a thread not too long about posting your name, and company etc in your signature or whatnot. This is a good way to get to know eachother I think, and does keep some sort of professionalism here in the forum. I like the idea . . .

And in another thread, we noted there were over 1,000 registered users on the foum. Great! And today, I think we've got about 1,160 members now, which is awesome.

But I can remember joining and not wanting to post in fear of sounding stupid, or being rejected by the "elite" members of the board (aka regular posters.) I soon found out this would not be the case, and started to post more and more becoming more and more comfortable on the forum.

This is purely a thought, but what about having a section for new members to post some information about themselves if they'd like . . . almost a "welcome" section. A place for new users to stop by and say, "hello, I'm new", just a way to break the ice and maybe get them comfortable in posting. I've noticed out of the ~1000 members, about 1/3 have posted at least once . . . the rest never at all. Surely not all of those who join want to post, and aren't obligated in doing so, but the more we have posting . . . the more interactive, fun and "educational" the forum is.

Anyway . . . thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Excellent idea and perhaps broke that future section in two or three sections: America, Europe, Asia, so it would be easier to look inside ;) and not get too much messages in just one section :D

Vinc
  • JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    I'd throw out a suggestion but I'm too afraid that it is going to be shot down by all the long timers on the list...

really I think it's a good idea - I am always wondering who these people are out there - but isn't that what the profile is for?
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Yeah, the profile is great. I always like to see where people are from, what compnay their with, etc. I was just thinking that it'd be a good ice breaker.

As far as posting suggestions, questions, etc., I think no one should be afraid to do that. I found that once I got over the fact that everyone programs differently, and we skin our cats to how we like, I started posting more. There's no wrong way of doing something - just long ways. :) I try to never shoot down someone's idea / suggestion, that's just wrong . . . though I will get upset if someone messes up code and then complain it doesn't work. :D LOL! (My boss. J/K!!)

BTW - John, I love the quote in the signature - so true!!
  • JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    yeah - I found that quote after I quit my job at an AV company after 17 years and started my own business... It sounded like a good idea, at least the bartender thought it was...

Ditto on the programming comments though. hey as long as the system runs the way the customer wants it to, and it is stabile - that is all that counts.
  • Not so fast.
    JohnMichnr wrote:
    Ditto on the programming comments though. hey as long as the system runs the way the customer wants it to, and it is stabile - that is all that counts.

Not suggesting this applies to John, just make sure nobody ever sees your code. ;)

I bet the installer that doesn't use cable ties says the same thing about his equipment rack once the door is closed.
  • B_Clements wrote:

I bet the installer that doesn't use cable ties says the same thing about his equipment rack once the door is closed.

Maybe thats why I'm not an Installer anymore...