Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPD4 2.6.0 Build 509

I updated TPD4 with the latest release, and a daily problem I had before was TPD4 would crash when connecting to the master. So far, I've not experienced this . . . is it me or has anyone else noticed this?

Perhaps I may be speaking a bit too soon, but could this be a problem AMX fixed though not willing to admit because of the inconsistency of the issue?

Comments

• Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    jjames wrote:
    I updated TPD4 with the latest release, and a daily problem I had before was TPD4 would crash when connecting to the master. So far, I've not experienced this . . . is it me or has anyone else noticed this?
    I can?t remember the last time TPD4 crashed on me for any reason. I?ve had other issues with TPD4 but the application itself has been solid.
  • No, the newest update does not fix that issue. I still have the problem that jjames mentioned. Just before displaying the "Getting Device List", TP4 crashes. It doesn't happen 100% of the time. (It only happens late afternoon on Fridays. HA HA)

It doesn't matter if I choose "Connect" from the menu first or if I choose "Download to Panel" then "Connect".

The problem follows on two differnt brands of notebooks as well.
    Does TPD4 generate any kind of application error or does it just go boom and disappear? Are you using your PC as a virtual master or do you connect to a real master? Under settings do you have the Ping checkbox checked? Does your connection require authentication?

I wonder what is different with my setup from yours since I never have the connection crash issue that you guys are experiencing?
  • youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    Same thing happens to me

The first time I do a connect to a panel, TPD4 crashes out like some piece of DOS-era shareware. After that crash, I restart TPD4 and reconnect w/o incident. Like clockwork...

The other weird thing is that the TPD4 screen doesn't repaint when it should after another app (studio) is Alt-Tabbed over it. I have to drag the TPD4 app window around to knock some repaint sense into it.

This latter symptom occurs only on the desktop (nv 540 graphics card in dual-monitor setup on a P5).
    -B
  • Joe Hebert wrote:
    Does TPD4 generate any kind of application error or does it just go boom and disappear? Are you using your PC as a virtual master or do you connect to a real master? Under settings do you have the Ping checkbox checked? Does your connection require authentication?
    QUOTE]

No, I do not get an error message. TP4 closes, then I get the wonderful Windows XP..."Send...Do Not Send" option. Generally, I can restart immediately after the crash and it opens fine.

I am connecting to a real master. I do ping. I am not requiring authentication.
    I am connecting to a real master. I do ping. I am not requiring authentication.
    I don?t ping (with TPD4 or NS2). Perhaps that?s the difference? I?ve been advised before not to check the ping box. Try unchecking ping and see if that makes a difference.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    In my settings, I don't ping (in TPD4 or NS2) and I do require authentication.
    jjames wrote:
    In my settings, I don't ping (in TPD4 or NS2) and I do require authentication.
    Different from my settings also but you shouldn?t have to turn off authentication to avoid crashes.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've had intermittent crashes myself, but nothing I could say was due to a specific series of events. I haven't used the latest release long enough to see if my issues still exist. However, each time I have had a crash, it has been related to a connection issue. The last time it was my own fault ... I had closed a VPN connection prematurely, and sent a new panel file down the pipe while it was closing. My own absent-minded fault I was trying to send on a non-existent connection, but it should not have caused a crash. This is a common flaw, IMO, in AMX products in that they do not properly detect connection states on a consistent basis, and do not recover gracefully when a connection is interupted. I have to assume they use a flawed library, because though the manifestations vary, the problem seems to exist across the line.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    The first time I tried the latest release it crashed 2-3 times in a row. I'm trying to remember the exact sequence of events that took place to cause this.
  • Bummer
    It doesn't matter if I choose "Connect" from the menu first or if I choose "Download to Panel" then "Connect".
    This must be a tough one for AMX to find.

I have not seen the crash with the new rev. yet. Tied to the ping option, perhaps?

Try connecting to the master before openning the file you are going to send. I have never had TPD4 crash this way.
  • bit of a late update to this, but here goes.

my TPD4 used to crash fairly regularly when trying to find a master. not always, but sometimes, when it got in the mood, quite often.

i've recently done a re-install of Windows, first time in a few years. i then installed the newest TPD4 and NetLinx Studio (i.e. no patching and upgrading, which has happened over time with previous Windows installation).

i also have NOT installed extra/latest video/audio drivers, just gone with the default Windows install.

so, i was at a site last week where TPD4 would normally do it's crash thing. but guess what, no problems. no crashes. same hardware, same site, and everything behaved. over wireless even.

i could guess that with the fresh install of Windows, i now don't have a driver or application installed that was causing the problems. don't ask me which one though, could be one or more of many things.

as i slowly re-install some necessary applications, i'll keep a closer eye on TPD4 reliablilty and see if something finally crashes it. there is a LOT i haven't even looked at re-installing at this stage.
  • cmacma Posts: 94
    Mine crashes when I try to connect or upload from time to time, it seems to be random, if I have NetLinx Studio open at the same time. Usually if I close Studio and TPD4 and reopen TPD4 the problem goes away.
  • when i am onsite i often have both apps running. and i would have had both running with the visit i just mentioned. so for me, with my fresh windows install and both apps, no problems. but i used to have problems with old (2 years) windows install.