Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Cell Phone/PDA Access

I know it's a long shot, but could with the new website design in the works, could there be an inconcert/firmware download section of the site designed for PDA/Cell phone/Pocket PC access? It doesn't happen often, but occasionally I'll be on a job site that either doesn't have broadband access (or more common, has the network locked down) and I'll need to check for an updated module or new/old firmware. It would be nice if I could download the file with my cell phone.

I know that this could easily be avoided by keeping up to date firmware files on my laptop (which I try to do) and verifying I have the necessary files before I head out to a job, but what can I say.... the lazy in me like to shine occasionally :)

In retrospect, I am thinking that this could be simply a geek requesting a new toy type suggestion. In an "emergency", I could just have AMX tech support or someone from the office email me the relevant file. Does anyone else see a realistic need for such a feature?

Jeff

Comments

• pauldpauld Posts: 106
    Well, it would be nice to be able to have access to the AMX product documentation, from a cell phone/blackberry/pda.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    I'm currently using Opera on my Sony Ericsson P910i to browse the main site. As it doesn't support flash, the sitemap page was the first place I went to.

One point that has to be made is that I do not use WAP access on this phone, I have a full http internet connection - it only took 90 minutes of explaining to the carrier of what I wanted though - as this is used for me to sync my calendar back to the on site server.

the tech docs search and display works fine but downloading the pdf files isn't an option...

If i was back to using my original blackberry connected to the blackberry.net accesspoint getting contents of the smaller pdf files is an option as the blackberry server reads and parses the pdf text only for display before sending it to the handheld. Images aren't sent.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    just an update guys, but if you use a phone that supports java apps (most do these days) opera now offers a self contained client called (appropriately) Opera Mini... look at mini.opera.com from your phone or http://opera.com/mini from a desktop.

The java app uses Opera's server to fetch the pages and then parse them down removing all unnecessary elements (flash, embeds etc) that the phone cannot display and then sends the cut down page to your phone. The Opera server also highly compresses images and text for display in the Mini browser so total data transmission is minimal.

I have been using it for a little while now and have to say that this is a major improvement on trying to browse natively with the Opera Browser - especially with news sites that are full of flash.

The AMX site works well using operaMini, but would be even better if a mobile portal is provided ;);)
  • Opera . . .