Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPD4 Gauge Question (Circular Bargraph)

Has anyone tried making a gauge on a touch panel. For example, say i wanted to recreate a speedometer. Can i make a bargraph that fills over a radius?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've never made one but yes it can be made. Just make a number of images of your speedometer and in each image move your needle or increase your fill.

There's an example of images that Dave H posted which you can find by doing a forum search for "compass" (well I believe that should find it).

You basically create an animatioin that uses level values to determine which of animated frames to display. You could achieve the same results with the ^ani command but most folks use would use a multi-state bar graph.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    For example, say i wanted to recreate a speedometer.
    You can download the ?Demo for MVP-8400 Modero ViewPoint Touch Panel? in the Touch Panel Resource section for an example of a volume bargraph that looks like a speedometer.
  • thank you

Thank you.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Has anyone tried making a gauge on a touch panel. For example, say i wanted to recreate a speedometer. Can i make a bargraph that fills over a radius?

I did a touch panel that had a sort of Jules Verne - 20 000 leagues under the sea look to it. It had a polished brass with a faded paper look to the dail backgrounds. The pointers had a fleur-de-lac end. It was pretty over the top. I suppose it could be tamed down and moderinzed for your uses. I had a compass, wind-speed gauge in MPH, humidity, barometric pressure and a glass and mercury thermometer.

The clock was silly.

I'll see if I can dig it up if you're interested.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    where did you use that for eric? :p
  • thats sounds intresting. after thinking about what to do, i ended up making animations in flash that were 256 frames long and then exporting the movie to png files with sequential numbers. Then with tpd4 & it's animation wizard it was a breeze populating the button as a multistate bargraph. it was alot easier than i first thought, i only wish you could scale the images included in animated buttons to any size.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    256 frames makes for a great animation but you also have to think how much memory your using up in the TP for each image and how much processor resource your using while running the animation pulling in each image. For a small project you should be fine but it's something to consider down the road when projects expanded.

You can generally get by with a lot less frames with almost no visual difference as the eyes are easily decieved!
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    TPDesign4 actually has its own set of Tween functions, although I don't use them, and I don't know anyone who does.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    mpullin wrote:
    TPDesign4 actually has its own set of Tween functions, although I don't use them, and I don't know anyone who does.

I use them. They are convenient if you want a button to fade over time from one state to another, or one color to another. I haven't used them for animations, nor do I think that was the intent. But it's kind of neat to make a 10-state button that instead of instantly going from it's "dim" off state to a birght on state, will gradually brighten or change color. I will typically use that type of button to show whether a particular source is active, or a system mode set. You can even "tween" font sizes, which is also a cool effect.