Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Tips and Tricks
Options

Get Code Axcent 3 Controller

Can somebody tell me how to view the code in my axcent 3 controller.
I am new to programming and I am trying to view the code via netlinx studio 2. I cannot get connected to the controller. Help!

Comments

• Options
    joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    Greg1 wrote:
    Can somebody tell me how to view the code in my axcent 3 controller.
    I am new to programming and I am trying to view the code via netlinx studio 2. I cannot get connected to the controller. Help!

Download AXCESS v3.07.
    Execute Axcessx.exe
    F4, Configure Comm settings.
    Establish communications with your Accent3. Most likely 38400 8N1.
    F2, Retrieve.

Depending on program size you may get nothing, or if "source send" was turned off when code was programmed into the Axcess master.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You can retrieve Axcent code in Studio. Grabbing Axcess will work, but it's not necessary. It's simpler, but you might not want to dwnload, install, and all else just for this operation.

In Studio, first go to the communications settings and set the default to Axcess master, and serial port (as per your computer). This is necessary - since you are downloading an unknown file, none of the workspace settings will apply. Downloads always use the default. Open up your file transfer dialog, and click the Receive tab. Click the Add button. Select the Axcess Source Code, and yet anotherAdd button will appear; click that and enter the path and file name you want to save it under. Go back to the main transfer dialog (it may go by itself, I forget now), and hit the Receive button and if there is a source code saved on the Axcent, it will download to the file you specified.

As Joel mentioned though, there isn't necessarily any source on the master. It's an option chosen when the code is loaded (and I don't think it's active by default). Also, there was a limited amount of memory on those boxes, and if your code got too big, yoiu had no room to store the source as well and were forced to turn it off.
  • Options
    Try the latest NS2

I just installed NS2.5 which was released on 1st August and the readme says:

BUG FIX - Unable to upload source code from an Axcent3 master.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I just installed NS2.5 which was released on 1st August and the readme says:

BUG FIX - Unable to upload source code from an Axcent3 master.
    It must have been a pretty obscure bug, because I have done it many times. I always grab the source from an Axcent, because we have had 3-4 people capable of programming them, and I can never be sure my local copy is up-to-date. I haven't paid much attention to what version of Studio I have used, but I never had a problem either. Whatever the bug was, they apparently fixed it, and it clearly was not a universal issue.
  • Options
    Check to see if you have NS version 2.5 build 163 there was a problem with an earlier verison of 2.5 that would give you an error when downloading source code from an Accent frame