Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Whole House Audio...

So in an AMX system with distruted audio (lets say 16 zones), do most people use an off the shelf system (Netstreams, Russound, Niles, whatever) or build it themselves via a matrix switcher like the AutoPatch 18x18 route? I am planning the autopatch route but wanted to see if there is a "norm" for people out there.

Curt
Trikin

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I would say that this depends greatly on the level of performance you are looking for. I have used the B&K distribution units for A/V and I have used the Autopatch route. Both are good systems and both have pros and cons so we make our decision based on a the requirements of the job and the client. We have also investigated (and continue to investigate) the other options available. We have installed the Speakercraft MZC66 as a standalone unit, but have not developed AMX integration for the unit because it just didn't fit for our implementations.

Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Usually, we go for a matrix switch (typically the Vaux), and multichannel amps (typically Niles). I've used more integrated systems, like the Marantz Z5300. If we are going to go with something like the full Niles multiroom system, we don't generally have an AMX controller on it, we just use the Niles keypads, etc., and be done with it.
  • Perfect, those were my thoughts as well. I hate to have too many brains running around the system...

Curt
  • "The Norm"

We always go the AutoPatch Matrix Swithing Route. Installs go smoother, Integration is tighter and our clients have an "ala carte" type choice of source equipment. Our latest hurdle however has been the new Mio-DMS Keypads. We have had to do lots of re-coding to all of our modules. We are trying not to sell to many PLK-DMS keypads because we are not sure how long AMX will continue to offer them. AMX as of late has been notorious for just yanking product production out from under us. i.e., mic hubs, and AS16 switchers. We are still waiting on a new intercom solution. Until AMX comes up with a product we are installing ELAN Communication modules right next all the AMX gear. "Rib Rib, Hint Hint"
  • We go the AutoPatch Matrix Swithing Route with Niles amps mainly, this way the client has the abiliy to select which ever source we make available in the house.
    As for a stand alone system with some integration we only really use them on small projects and that is not our market so they are few and far between.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    We typically go with an ADA Suite 8 or 16; we've got some slick code to control input switching and volume from a Jedi Master Programmer which makes it extremely easy to work with. I also like the fact that you can set bass, trebble and mid via serial control. You can do a lot wth the ADA piece; perhaps I'm a little partial because it's the first "real" switcher I've had to work with.

We have gone with the that small AutoPatch piece for a very small (2-3 zones) commercial job, and that was okay. I didn't like the fact that it didn't have unsolicited feedback, but other than that - it was okay.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't like the way Autopatch does feedback either; not only is it not unsolicited, but it's synchronous and ambiguous. You have to query, and wait for a response - if it's delayed, you have to ignore whatever might come in because it may no longer be valid. I'll have to say, the times it's delayed have been nonexistant on the ones I've used; I'm just nervous about it. I prefer unambiguous responses where I always know how to apply the data. That's why I prefer the Vaux. It not only does proper feedback, but gives you bass and treble with the volume, and has built-in audio scenes and a doorchime function. It's only flaw in my eyes is that the architechture is somewhat limited (you can't get any possible combination of I/O channels, and they don't have an HD or component video siwtch ... yet). You can, however, cascade them to share inputs. It's also considerably cheaper than the Autopatch. I only use Autopatch now when I need component switching.