Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

AMX DMX or Lutron DMX

Hi,
I will be programming up our first lighting system that includes some DMX lighting and wanted to get some views on which product to go with, the AMX DMX512 or a Lutron LUT-DMX interface. I'm still in the learning curve with DMX, but this property will have both a Homeworks and AMX system so either way isn't a problem. Just wanted to specify the product that will give me the most flexability.

Cheers
Justin

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 99
    I can offer a third solution that has worked very well in previous jobs. The system was a C
    n, so the AMX DMX controller wasn't really an option.
    The device is an RS-232 to DMX512 converter. It's very small and the programming protocol is very simple. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.interstellar.com/products.html

Joe
  • joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    jwells wrote:
    I will be programming up our first lighting system that includes some DMX lighting and wanted to get some views on which product to go with, the AMX DMX512 or a Lutron LUT-DMX interface. I'm still in the learning curve with DMX, but this property will have both a Homeworks and AMX system so either way isn't a problem. Just wanted to specify the product that will give me the most flexability.

I've recently used this in an AMX project via Ethernet:
    http://www.lanbox.com/products/LCXDataSheet.html

It just boils down to what you want to do. Any DMX controller with some third party connectivity will work. One may be easier to work with over another. The last time I used a DMX512 was in 1997.

Keeping all the lighting logic in Homeworks would make more sense in the long run.
  • Cheers that's for the alternative products.

I've done a bit of research on the Lutron interface and it does seem to be a little limiting on how the channels are distributed. They are linked to the number of lighting zones a cpu can handle.