Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Need a extra RS-232 port looking for options

I have a NI-2000 as the master, ran out of RS-232 ports the only options I see is getting a NXF-mini and NXC-com2 cardframe and card. Or possibly using Axlink to a AXB-EM232.

Is there any other box that can give me the extra RS-232 port?

Thanks

brian

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    The only other options that come to mind are adding another processor (NI-700) or using an RS232 to Ethernet adapter. Using the ethernet adapter may cause you additional programming or other issues.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I would buy an Axcent3 on Ebay, and slave it. That will give you 6 more serial ports, 8 IR, etc. It's not a bad way to expand a system at all.
  • I've actually been looking at these guys www.globalcache.com, aparently there is a Netlinx module to control their pieces, so it's a cheap way to get extra IR and serial ports.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    alexanbo wrote:
    I've actually been looking at these guys www.globalcache.com, aparently there is a Netlinx module to control their pieces, so it's a cheap way to get extra IR and serial ports.
    I was looking at those myself, not long ago. If it must be new equipment and an RS323 box is out-of-budget, that might be the way to go; if they are cheaper than an RS232 box, that is.
  • If you don't need two way RS232 you can always use an IR port with the new firmware and do one way RS232 communication.
  • A great solution !
    JustinC wrote:
    If you don't need two way RS232 you can always use an IR port with the new firmware and do one way RS232 communication.

I have done this several times with success.

This works great when you dont need true feedback from a device.
  • KouyaKouya Posts: 60
    Need a extra RS-232 port looking for options

Thanks Guys

Great ideals and solutions. I'll try the IR since it's available and I'm not using feedback.

Alexanbo Thanks for the Gobalcache link, some of their stuff might be worth having in toolbox for emergencies.

brian
  • champchamp Posts: 261
    A truly wrong but workable solution is to use the programming port.
    I've never done it myself but have seen it done.
    It will totally mess the heads of any third parties trying to connect to it.
  • Add a ?relay-controlled 1 to many serial switch and select the destination before sending the command.

(Yeuch)
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I do have a used AXB-232++ that I could sell to you if your interested.. just send me a PM. I am going to be out of town till friday though and I don't know if I have internet.

Ryan
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    and a netlinx shell expension? NXM-HS or something, with a COM2 card :)