Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools
Options

TPD4 Crashes at File Transfer

Greetings,

I have been having trouble with TPD4 crashing and shutting down when trying to do a transfer. I am running the latest version of TPD4 on an XP SP2 machine, fully updated.

I recently fully reformatted the PC and reinstalled windows. This did not stop the crashing.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    This bug has been around for quite a few revs of the app now.

It doens't seem to necessarily follow any pattern, although I note the following:

Once you have established a connection, the bug generally won't show. You can d/l repeatedly and it will be fine.

If you terminate the connection either by closing the app or rebooting the master, you are almost odds on to get hit. The point above still applies though.

I have recently had a couple of instances where I have had to reconnect due to one of the above reasons, and I have found that sometimes it will connect quite happily.....but, then when the d/l dialog commences it does does the dummy spit.
  • Options
    I have found the same results. Upon connection to a master is when it dumps. Once connected, you're fine. I ALWAYS save before a transfer.

Any comment from AMX on this???????
  • Options
    Somewhere in another thread I saw this workaround:

Connect to Master first, then Send to Panel. Seems to cut down but not eliminate the problem.

Bill Ravenel
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I think that's a problem inherent to a lot of graphic apps. The only thing to do is "save" religously and "always" before a transfer attempt.
  • Options
    Work around

Connect to the master first. Open the panel file second.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    B_C wrote:
    Connect to the master first. Open the panel file second.

My normal routine when working in TPD4 is to make changes or additons to my TP file, click save and then xfer. Usually during the connection process is when TPD4 crashes. If I make changes/addition to my file, click connect, then transfer I still have the problem of TPD4 crashing during the connect phase.

What you're saying is, make changes/additons to TPD4, click save, close the working file, click connect, click open (file just closed) and then transfer.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than taking the 50/50 crap shoot of doing it my normal method. It seems just as annoying.

Unless, your intent is when opening TD4, after TPD4 is opened, click connect, then open file, then make changes/additons, click save, then xfer. That, I may be able to re-train myself to do and it isn't really an annoyance.
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    vining wrote:
    My normal routine when working in TPD4 is to make changes or additons to my TP file, click save and then xfer. Usually during the connection process is when TPD4 crashes. If I make changes/addition to my file, click connect, then transfer I still have the problem of TPD4 crashing during the connect phase.

Same. Simple, clean and efficient.

Mapping the file with NSX and performing the d/l that way never causes the issue, however, this is a cumbersome method sometimes - if you just tweak a file and want to refresh, you need to switch apps (without minimising or else!), deselect the source, select the tpd...blah blah blah.

This is too time consuming and, also it's easy to leave the files selected this way and then inadvertantly re send the tpd file when you meant the source! Doh!

Running the two apps is certainly the simplest and quickest, but for the little crash problem.

Hopefully software dev is looking in on this

:-)