Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Denon DCM-390

Has anyone in here controlled this 5 disc CD changer via RS232? I called Denon and they claimed Japan has not sent them the protocol, and Denon doesn't know when they'll get it.

There is a module on amx.com for the DCM-5000 (a larger 100 disc changer), but it doesn't seem to work with my DCM-390.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    That's a new feature for that CD player and I would expect the RS-232 protocols to be different than the that older discontiued model (DCM5000). They have a reasonably inexpensive RS-232 controllable DVD player that is new this year also.

I checked out my Denon reps website and the protocols aren't listed for these models. Makes you wonder why after they go to the expense to add RS-232 capabilties to products and publish that fact and you know the protocols have to be developed because the products are shipping, they don't make them available and know one can give you information.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    vining wrote:
    That's a new feature for that CD player and I would expect the RS-232 protocols to be different than the that older discontiued model (DCM5000). They have a reasonably inexpensive RS-232 controllable DVD player that is new this year also.

I checked out my Denon reps website and the protocols aren't listed for these models. Makes you wonder why after they go to the expense to add RS-232 capabilties to products and publish that fact and you know the protocols have to be developed because the products are shipping, they don't make them available and know one can give you information.
    maybe they are only available to certain dealers...?
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    vining wrote:
    Are you talking about the 1930CI? I have a 1930CI and a 3910 in my current system, and I have discovered the AMX module for the 2900 works for both of them.
    vining wrote:
    The protocol for the DCM5000 wasn't available on the Denon website either, yet someone at AMX wrote a module for it. I wonder if there's a way to find out who wrote that module, maybe they have access to secret Denon documents...
    mpullin wrote:
    Are you talking about the 1930CI? I have a 1930CI and a 3910 in my current system, and I have discovered the AMX module for the 2900 works for both of them.

Yes, and that would make sense. Why re-invent the wheel. I haven't used the 1930CI but for $370.00 list and w/ RS232 it seems perfect for jobs that you just can't justify or swing the expense of a 3910ci or 5910ci.

But what about the new DCM 390 with RS232 list $350.00. There's nothing in there line up except that old DCM5000 that was discontinued years ago, where the 232 protocol for that? I would think that most of the commands use for the DVD palyers would also work.

I would just connect to it, create an input buffer and send it commands unfortunately you can't use the module for the 2900 as a guide as that communicates with the comm module through the virtual but if you get the Denon protocol for the 2900 and use that as a reference I'm sure most of the commands are the same as they relate to power on/off and transport. You may have to fiddle about to get the track commands and that should be about it. Denon uses straight forward ascii string commands so you could probably get something working in a little while.
    It was a good thought, I tried using the 2900 module on the DCM390, but no dice. The DCM390 will send me a short string ($0300) to tell me when it's turned on (manually) but I can't get it to do anything else.

The only plus side of this is that knowing when the device is powered on will allow me to learn its IR remote and turn it on or off without having discrete power functions! :-(
    edit: so much for that idea, the remote has no power function whatsoever, not even a toggle.
    The manual says the RS-232 port is for future expansion and not the typical "RS-232 Port ? Third Party Remote Controllers" that they usually says, so maybe it isn't active yet. Probably requires a firmware revision.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've seen what looked like RS-232 ports that were no such thing ... one I saw on a TV recently, after a call to the manufacturer, turned out to be for firmware upgrades only.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Hmm aparently I should read my email more closely. I got an email from our Denon Rep but I thought it was only the IR codes turned out they had the RS-232 codes as well.

Andre
    Thank you very much, alexanbo. The protocol works great. Maybe someone should upload this to the Third Party Devices section of amx.com?
  • invostarinvostar Posts: 9
    Did Anyone Ever Find a Module For the Denon DCM-390

I just wanted to see if anyone ever found a module for the Denon DCM-390.