Home AMX User Forum AMX Resource Management Suite Software

Welcome To the RMS Forum

Greetings and welcome to the new RMS forum!
This forum is open to discussing ideas related to managing AMX systems, devices, assets, and scheduling. Please feel free to suggest new feature ideas or ask questions about using the Resource Management Suite applications such as MeetingManager, ClassroomManager, IPLink Interface, or CodeCrafter.
Thank you for your participation.
Doug Hall
Moderator and Product Manager

Comments

• How about an english, easy-to-follow, idiot-proof, "from the ground up" tutorial on integrating RMS into an existing Netlinx program without using CodeCrafter? This would be for someone that already has a program (or one in mind) then later find they want to add RMS support to track equipment usage, and perhaps include hooks to allow some amount of device control from the RMS web interface.

I can't speak for others, but I'd love to see something broken down into different sections that illustrated adding hooks right into the main program without the need for an intermediary include file... I think I'd have a better understanding of how everything works if I could see what was involved - even if it required a little more work than using code generated by CC. At that point I'd have the option of doing it longhand or falling back on CC, but I'd still have the understanding of what's going on. Covering the things the engine does "behind the scenes" with the web server would be interesting, as well as a "programmer's perspective" on options available through the web interface.

Then again, maybe this is all covered in a document(s) that I just haven't taken the time to read yet...

- Chip
  • Chip Moody wrote:
    Then again, maybe this is all covered in a document(s) that I just haven't taken the time to read yet...

I was just forced to read it, and it is all there, for the most part. I'd say its lacking a bit, especially in the parameters area, but you can always use CC to generate some stuff to learn by. I'd like to see access to module sources. That is my wish. I'm a little tired of this token only stuff.
  • I did the CC bit - and then broke down teh include file and tried to figure out what was happening, then went back to the manuals to read on each individual function created in the include files...

As usual the manuals are great if you know what to do, but lack a little something if you are trying to figure out how to do it.
  • JohnMichnr wrote:
    As usual the manuals are great if you know what to do, but lack a little something if you are trying to figure out how to do it.

Yeah - thus my request for a "tutorial". :)

I'm not going to say those manuals are like Jinglish stereo instructions, but.....

- Chip
  • I'm a little tired of this token only stuff.

While the user interface modules can go right in the trash, I generally have no problem with any "module" AMX puts out in compiled form - including RMS - as long as they have enough SEND_COMMANDs to let me do what I want.

I figure they probably have all the reason they want - and every right - to not let me see the source code.

And when what they supply doesn't do what I need? Hey, time to roll my own and be greatful for the tools they >have< provided.

- Chip
  • Chip Moody wrote:
    as long as they have enough SEND_COMMANDs to let me do what I want.
    They don't for me in this case.
    Chip Moody wrote:
    be greatful for the tools they >have< provided.
    You mean like that rockin RMS tutorial?
  • RMS Feedback

Hey Guys,
    Good feedback! We want to make RMS easy to use and have great plans for incorporating all functions to be native. If you have specific ideas that will help you to monitor devices or any other things that may help the product, this is the place.
    I realize the programmers guide may be a little cryptic but we tried to make the commands familiar to NetLinx programmers so they would be intuitive.
    Thanks again for visiting the forum, let me know what I can do to make this too more productive for you.
    Kindest Regards,
    Doug Hall
    RMS Product Manager
  • You mean like that rockin RMS tutorial?

I mean like RMS period, and all of the device control modules in the InConcert area.

As far as RMS, I have issues with the documentation - not the software itself. So far it does what I expect - I'm just not easilly finding how to add what I have in mind. (I know it's supported, as I've seen it demonstrated - but that was just nearly 2 years ago)

- Chip