Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Screen Flicker

Greetings...

I have periodic issues with backlight flicker on CV5's. Anyone else run into this before? Comes and goes, so I'm not sure if it is electrical noise, or voltage drop...

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I haven't used any CV5s yet but I thought I read about that the other day. I can't find the thread right now. I think the poster mentioned it flickered after waking up but don't quote me on that.
  • Options
    Hi Sonny
    I have a CV5 on my desk that I use for testing and haven't noticed a flicker at all, I'll post it if I see the problem.
  • Options
    JimiJimi Posts: 10
    I thought I heard once about panels flickering if the power supply is placed too far away. Maybe voltage drop like you suggested.
  • Options
    youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    Check wire gauge/distance/voltage

I had this once in a test setup. I'd get a flicker whenever I touched the screen. I upsized the wire and it went away.

I'm assuming the flicker was the speaker competing with the display for power to make the audio "boop" when touched.

If the wire's already in the wall, consider doubling up conductors if you have spare, or locating the power supply closer to the TP. You could also substitute a variable regulated power supply that you can dial up to compensate for loss.
  • Options
    I had screen flickering on CV7 after loading the newest firmware.

http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=2049
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    We just finished up a job that had a CV5 and was acting very wierd. Not only was it flickering, but at times we couldn't get into the setup page by pressing the gray button (only when it was acting wierd.) Power wasn't an issue we don't think because when we replaced it, the new one acted just fine, no flickering or anything.

So a possible problem with the CV5s I would say.

But we were stricken with EXTREMELY bad luck on this job: had to replace a CV10 three times in one week, replaced the CV5 once, replaced two access points, replaced the router, bad wires (not connections, but the wires themselves), plasma had dead pixels (though they came back after having it on for a while) . . . ugh - a nightmare. 90% of our problems were all hardware . . . I'll claim that other 10% but with the excuse of having to change code layout several times due to some bad assumptions.
  • Options
    jjames wrote:
    But we were stricken with EXTREMELY bad luck on this job: had to replace a CV10 three times in one week, replaced the CV5 once, replaced two access points, replaced the router, bad wires (not connections, but the wires themselves), plasma had dead pixels (though they came back after having it on for a while) . . . ugh - a nightmare.

Did you consider getting the building power supply analysed for noise and spikes?
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Did you consider getting the building power supply analysed for noise and spikes?
    No, we never considered it. The CV10s were a whole nother issue not related to power. But once we replaced that CV5, all was fine with it at that location. The 8400 that's there now has no sound. I don't know what's up with that - which we may replace (after trying a full system file transfer.)

Anyway, after replacing all those things, it has gone . . . umm, much smoother. (Knock on wood.) I just think it was BAD luck. I guess we all get one of those jobs every now and then eh?
  • Options
    VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    NXD-CV5 flicker

Just completed a large project with 6 NXD-CV5's in one system.

These are all driven from a PSN6.5 power supply (distributed with an ABS).

The cable lengths are all about the same 40-50ft.

2 of the 6 have demonstrated intermittant backlight flicker.

I dont believe it is a power issue or interference problem.

I will probably have to pursue replacement for the 2 units.

If anyone has discovered a true fix for this issue, please post it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    The latest firmware revision is described as follows:
    Modero 5" Touch Panels Firmware

NOTE: Use of the new Connection Utility feature on the setup pages requires master firmware Build 352 or greater.

New Features:

* Screen flickering on wakeup from panel sleep was resolved
        * Changes made to the ramdisk size and free cache calculations to help resolve memory issues with large touch panel pages

KIT | 8.79 MB | v. 2.60.13 | 2007-09-12

A couple of my flakey CV5's are doing much better now.