Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Mio Prestige - Labels, button travel, and more...lack of product testing?

Yay! Our latest order of Mio Prestige keypads finally came with the labels that have been promised for months. Unfortunately, they are all cut too small (and square, not the rectangular shape of the area the label is supposed to fit in), so you have to fiddle with them to get them exactly centered and level in the button. If you don't, the label gets crooked or off to one side and looks really bad. Label 20-30 of these keypads like this and you'll get tired of it pretty quickly.

<RANT>
Why couldn't AMX have cut these to fit the opening provided by the button? I don't know, but even with a perfect sized label these keypads can be tricky. In our experience, we have found that the travel of the actual button mounted on the IC board is very small. If you are not careful to really tightly press each button together after inserting the label, or if you use your own printed labels with paper stock that is a little too thick, the button will stick or lose its 'click' once re-installed. This is -before- you even mount the keypad to the wall. Don't get me started about the poor wall-mounting design, despite the improved sturdier backing mount AMX have switched to recently.

We found that sometimes we needed to actually shim the plastic frame that holds the buttons with a small piece of paper, so that we could maintain the usability of the buttons. Without the
shim, the buttons would stick on or have no tactile response. I'm hoping that something may have changed with this most recent order of keypads, but from looking at the IC board, it would appear that AMX is still using the same low-travel buttons on the board.

I'm really glad to not have to cut out button labels with an exacto knife any more, but couldn't AMX have done better?

It's like they never bothered to label and install even one of these keypads in the -real world-, before putting them on the market. "Yep, it works great under our perfect lab conditions with our laser cut carpentry demo walls and ideal circumstances. Send it to production!"

Unfortunately, I would say the same about many of the products AMX has made these past few years - wall docking stations that whine, grind, and jam, touch panel trim rings that don't cover even slightly imperfect carpentry (like 1/8" tolerances), ridiculously difficult to open battery covers on modero viewpoints, IR emitters twisted and wrapped up tighter than Houdini in a locked chest under 30' of water, even the new Mio Remotes as nice as they are (ever upgrade one from regular to rechargable? What a hassle!) - and hope to goodness your significant other doesn't throw one at you during an argument - those corners are SHARP! :)
</RANT>
Anyway, I hate to sound like I am just complaining. AMX has done a great job on many things, but when something isn't right and you just keep dealing with the same issues over and over again over a number of years, it begins to get old.

Eric Keppel
AMX Programmer
MHS Technologies
Newland, NC

Comments

• Options
    VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    You are not alone....
    ekeppel wrote:
    ridiculously difficult to open battery covers on modero viewpoints, IR emitters twisted and wrapped up tighter than Houdini in a locked chest under 30' of water,

These are a few of my AMX hardware pet peeves.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Don't they engrave those? If not, they should :p
    Furthermore, if you put your battery in the upper slot, opening the panel is alot easier :)
  • Options
    yuri wrote:
    Don't they engrave those? If not, they should :p
    Furthermore, if you put your battery in the upper slot, opening the panel is alot easier :)

Never had an 8400 eh? It fills both battery slots.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    shr00m-dew wrote:
    Never had an 8400 eh? It fills both battery slots.

Kevin D.

offcourse i had an 8400. I think it's easier to open up a 8400 as opposed to a 7500 with the battery in the lower compartiment
  • Options
    Yeah, we do a lot of both types of moderos.

You're right that it can help to have the battery in the lower slot on the 7500s, but it's still not easy to open. When a touch panel locks up on a customer, most are not able to open the battery compartment to hard reset the panel on their own, and because of the difficulty in opening the cover, we don't tend to recommend our customers do it themselves. Instead, we have to schedule another service call to reset it for them, just so we don't have the customer complaining that they busted the screen on their panel when trying to open the back.

I realize that selling replacements for panels that customers bust could be a nice source of extra revenue, but...

LOL :)

Eric