Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NI3000 firmware upgrade failure??

Daer all,

I upgraded NI3000's firmware from 2.31.137 to 2.32.148 last night.
After successed , NI3000 roboot by itself.
And,..........it died
The status led was always on , the others is off
Now I cannot connect it in RS-232 cable or CAT5
How can I do for NI3000 ??

Comments

• Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Did the NI-3000 already have an IP address assigned before you did the upgrade? Can you telnet in?
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    A couple of things to try:

1) Flip up dip switch #1 and reboot. This will bypass any program that is running.
    2) If you can telnet in, do a show log and see what kind of errors you got.
    3) If you can telnet in, do a clean disk and reboot.

I don't know if any of the above will work but that's all I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will jump in.

Did you upgrade to DUET firmware or non DUET?
  • J.Y.J.Y. Posts: 34
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    Did the NI-3000 already have an IP address assigned before you did the upgrade? Can you telnet in?

No, I can't telnet in , but I can ping it
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    A couple of things to try:

1) Flip up dip switch #1 and reboot. This will bypass any program that is running.
    2) If you can telnet in, do a show log and see what kind of errors you got.
    3) If you can telnet in, do a clean disk and reboot.

I don't know if any of the above will work but that's all I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will jump in.

Did you upgrade to DUET firmware or non DUET?

1) fail
    2) can't telnet in
    3) can't telnet in
    4) non DUET firmware
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    if the status led is always on, it means the master is "busy"
    you can try to contact it using the com port, just keep trying.
    On other thing you can do is take another master frame, open it up, take out the flash card, and read the contents to your local HDD. Then take out the flashcard from the "broken" frame, and copy the contents from your HDD to the flashcard. Put back the flashcard and reboot the master. It should be alright :)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    J.Y. wrote:
    Daer all,

I upgraded NI3000's firmware from 2.31.137 to 2.32.148 last night.
    After successed , NI3000 roboot by itself.
    And,..........it died
    The status led was always on , the others is off
    Now I cannot connect it in RS-232 cable or CAT5
    How can I do for NI3000 ??
    I've had something like this happen to me twice in the last month. AMX won't officially acknowledge it, but I was told by someone in a position to know "off the record" that they had a batch of bad CF cards. It's something of a crap shoot, and they fail on startup due to an issue with boot operations timing. It had nothing to do with your firmware update (if your failure is the same as mine were), but just random bad luck because you rebooted; if you have one of the bad cards it was eventually inevitable anyway.

The symptom I saw, however, was the Input light going solid on startup and never shutting off. Beyond that, the problems were identical - no connection possible, even via RS-232. If Tech Support can confirm it's a bad CF card, they will offer to either send you a new card, or have you send back the bad NI. In my case, since I had spares on hand, I sent the whole thing back so they can verify it's OK when the card is replaced.
    yuri wrote:
    if the status led is always on, it means the master is "busy"
    you can try to contact it using the com port, just keep trying.
    On other thing you can do is take another master frame, open it up, take out the flash card, and read the contents to your local HDD. Then take out the flashcard from the "broken" frame, and copy the contents from your HDD to the flashcard. Put back the flashcard and reboot the master. It should be alright :)

Thanks your help!! ^^
    After CF card copy from good one to bad one, the symptom solved.
    Thank you again.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i always have a backup of the CF card software on my HDD. I'm not sure if you can use the files from an NI2000 on an NI3000/NI4000, but i thikn its possible :)
  • JasonTanJasonTan Posts: 8
    Retrieve Program from CF Card
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I've had something like this happen to me twice in the last month. AMX won't officially acknowledge it, but I was told by someone in a position to know "off the record" that they had a batch of bad CF cards. It's something of a crap shoot, and they fail on startup due to an issue with boot operations timing. It had nothing to do with your firmware update (if your failure is the same as mine were), but just random bad luck because you rebooted; if you have one of the bad cards it was eventually inevitable anyway.

The symptom I saw, however, was the Input light going solid on startup and never shutting off. Beyond that, the problems were identical - no connection possible, even via RS-232. If Tech Support can confirm it's a bad CF card, they will offer to either send you a new card, or have you send back the bad NI. In my case, since I had spares on hand, I sent the whole thing back so they can verify it's OK when the card is replaced.

Is there any way to retrieve the program if the CF card is corrupted or spoilt? I having similar case with Input led turn on solid and it will never be off.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    If the CF Card is readable &:

1) you saved source to master, then you can retrieve the source zip folder from the CF card by mounting the card on a PC.

2) you can move the PROG.TKN file to a restored master image on a new card. You cannot however access the source from the tkn.

I wouldn't want to guarantee you wouldn't have issues with #2, however as it you need to be certain that the file was compiled to match the firmware loaded.