Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

JAVA Issues for Web Control

I've got several Netlinx masters on a network I don't have lots of control over. When I try to use the web control, I never get past the Panja screen.

In the Java console, it appears to load all the graphics, says its done, and then it hangs on the following . . .

TpApp.loadpage: Starting Connections

I'm using the older version of JAVA recommended elsewhere on the forum, but I've tried this from 3 separate computers and I'm not getting anywhere on any of them. Someone mentioned in another thread that they'd found it was a port forwarding issue, but didn't expound upon how they had fixed it. Anybody able to clear that up and give me a few more specifics?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    This AMX technote may help.

http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=790

Charles
  • Options
    JeffJeff Posts: 374
    Beautiful.

Interestingly enough, it works perfectly now in Internet Explorer yet crashes Firefox every time. Not a big deal, but certainly strange . . .

Jeff
  • Options
    On a related note, I have an older NI3000 that has NetLinx 2.20.115 firmware on it. I did not do the programming for it, and I do not have the program. If I update the firmware to 3.12 so I can use webcontrol, will it need to be reprogrammed? I can load the TP file from the touchpanel itself and then FTP it to the ni3000, but I don't have the netlinx code to run it. This is NOT a room I can afford to mess up and say "oops, I'll have to reprogram it." This is the most used conference room at CGHQ, which is why I'm trying to control it remotely :)

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have yet to have a firmware update mess up the loaded program, but going from a non-Duet to a Duet revision is a big jump. I would hesitate myself if I didn't have a program backup.
  • Options
    Jeff wrote:
    Beautiful.

Interestingly enough, it works perfectly now in Internet Explorer yet crashes Firefox every time. Not a big deal, but certainly strange . . .

Jeff
    Works perfect (and loads faster) with Firefox 2. Please check if you use the Sun Java instead of the Micro$oft JIT compiler..
  • Options
    Jeff wrote:
    On a related note, I have an older NI3000 that has NetLinx 2.20.115 firmware on it. I did not do the programming for it, and I do not have the program. If I update the firmware to 3.12 so I can use webcontrol, will it need to be reprogrammed? I can load the TP file from the touchpanel itself and then FTP it to the ni3000, but I don't have the netlinx code to run it. This is NOT a room I can afford to mess up and say "oops, I'll have to reprogram it." This is the most used conference room at CGHQ, which is why I'm trying to control it remotely :)

Jeff
    The WebControl files and the Master file is not affected when updating the master, but to have a backup of the files will be saver ;)
    If I remember correct, also v2.20 was possible to do the Java based webcontrol.

In your special case if updating from v2.20 to v3, it may be required to update to v2.32 before you can update to v3. In both of these steps, the download will fail after 3 of 4 parts. This is normal. Reboot the master manually and update again, now all 4 parts will be loaded. Like told before with the technote, don't forget to push up the Duet mem to about 3-5 MByte, to get the v3 webserver run properly.
  • Options
    Are you saying that the system as it stands does >not< have G3 web control?

- Chip

Jeff wrote:
    If I update the firmware to 3.12 so I can use webcontrol, will it need to be reprogrammed?
  • Options
    Well . . . . . . . .

The system as it stands has nonfunctioning webcontrol. I did not install it. It is out of warranty. The company that did install it, put up webcontrol, but it basically crashes everything and never finishes loading.

I'm just in the beginning stages of trying to troubleshoot this, but my first thought was that upgrading to Duet and setting enough memory to run it would be a good start. Upgrading the firmware is where I almost always start when I'm having trouble with any hardware, so I'm trying to apply that to AMX as well.

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Jeff wrote:
    Well . . . . . . . .

The system as it stands has nonfunctioning webcontrol. I did not install it. It is out of warranty. The company that did install it, put up webcontrol, but it basically crashes everything and never finishes loading.

I'm just in the beginning stages of trying to troubleshoot this, but my first thought was that upgrading to Duet and setting enough memory to run it would be a good start. Upgrading the firmware is where I almost always start when I'm having trouble with any hardware, so I'm trying to apply that to AMX as well.

Jeff
    Nine times out of ten, when Web Control doesn't work, it has nothing to do with the master, but the computer and browser trying to access it.
  • Options
    I've tried it on several computers, in both firefox and IE. All of these computers are successfuly controlling up to date NI-700s in other rooms, but are choking on this NI-3000 with a significantly more complex and graphic intensive touch panel. the splash screen loads, and occasionally when you click it, it will jump to the main menu page, but buttons on the menu never accomplish anything when clicked.

Reading the tech note, I thought there might not be enough memory allocated for this bigger touchpanel file, so I went to SET DUET MEMORY. Thats when I found out I was dealing with pre duet firmware, so I was trying to figure out how to update the firmware.

Jeff
  • Options
    Did you get Web Control to work ?

Did you get you Web Control to work ? and how ??

Sometime ist does, sometimes not, could be memory related, bad enough that a standard issue like "insuficient memory" does crash th system instead of prducing an "insuficient memory" warning.

Did an update or firmware upgrade resolve it ?