AM/FM Tuners

jjamesjjames AMX Sustaining EngineerPosts: 2,900
Hey all,

What whole house / multi-room purpose AM/FM tuner do you prefer? We've been using Parasound ZTuners for a while, and although the new ZTuner v2 serial is rather easy to work with, the devices themselves are sub-par. We'd like to move up to a decent tuner with pretty decent RS-232 capabilities.

Any ideas?

Comments

  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Senior member Posts: 216
    Tuners

    When it come to 3rd party tuners, we have pretty much standardized
    on the Contemporary Research products for commercial projects.

    They have a wide variety of units available (including HD capable).
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    It seems like we use a different one each job, but most recently it has been the Marantz ST-7001 (AM/FM/XM). For customers that want Sirius, we are moving towards the SCH-1, which is just a little black box tuner with RS-232 and an audio out.
  • jjamesjjames AMX Sustaining Engineer Posts: 2,900
    Is the SCH-1 only a Sirius tuner or does it do AM/FM as well?
  • REBUILD_EVENTREBUILD_EVENT Junior Member Posts: 127
    NuVo

    We use NuVo Concerto for Multiroom. There is also a double-tuner (T2 Tuner) that we used. Both have RS-232.
    This was my first work, when I started programming Netlinx actually..

    http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/tuners.htm
  • alexanboalexanbo Junior Member Posts: 282
    We've just started using the Elan DTNR units and they've been working very well for us.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote:
    Is the SCH-1 only a Sirius tuner or does it do AM/FM as well?

    It's Sirius only. It also requires some sort of control system - there are absolutely no manual controls on it at all. It is intended as a plug-in to add Sirius to devices that support it, but the interface is RS-232, which opens the doors to lots of custom stuff. I have one sitting on my desk, but I have yet to twist my bosses arm sufficiently to get me a Sirius account to test with.
  • This works well.
    We use NuVo Concerto for Multiroom. There is also a double-tuner (T2 Tuner) that we used. Both have RS-232.
    This was my first work, when I started programming Netlinx actually..

    http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/tuners.htm

    This unit integrates nicely, AM/FM/Weather and XM.
  • philg5140philg5140 Junior Member Posts: 13
    Elan Tuner

    I've used the Elan dual tuner(AM/FM only) with success. Question on the SC-H1, is that the only piece I need to integrate Sirius with an AMX system...

    Thanks in advance
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    philg5140 wrote:
    I've used the Elan dual tuner(AM/FM only) with success. Question on the SC-H1, is that the only piece I need to integrate Sirius with an AMX system...

    Thanks in advance

    Yes. AMX even has a module written for it already.
  • the8thstthe8thst Junior Member Posts: 470
    Do any of the tuners mentioned utilize RDS?

    I have a client that wants the Artist and Song Title to be displayed on the touch panels when they are listening to radio.

    I have two thoughts for this:
    1. Get a tuner with RDS available over 232
    2. Upgrade to an HD Radio tuner with metadata available over 232

    I am just starting to research this, so any thoughts would be great.

    Thank you.
  • joelwjoelw Junior Member Posts: 175
    the8thst wrote:
    Do any of the tuners mentioned utilize RDS?

    I working on a jobsite right now that is using a Rotel RT-1080 that displays RDS data. RDS data is presented on the touch panels. Keep in mind RDS data content is determined by the radio station.
  • the8thstthe8thst Junior Member Posts: 470
    joelw wrote:
    I working on a jobsite right now that is using a Rotel RT-1080 that displays RDS data. RDS data is presented on the touch panels. Keep in mind RDS data content is determined by the radio station.

    I hear the warning about RDS and it is something I have experience in the past. Car audio decks hace had RDS for years and years, and the radio stations used to update the info every 3 or 4 songs. I hope is has become a better medium nowadays.

    That is why HD Radio is really where I think I will head with this one. Does anyone know if an HD radio tuner that is less expensive than the TuneSuite?
  • REBUILD_EVENTREBUILD_EVENT Junior Member Posts: 127
    the8thst wrote:
    Do any of the tuners mentioned utilize RDS?

    I have a client that wants the Artist and Song Title to be displayed on the touch panels when they are listening to radio.

    I have two thoughts for this:
    1. Get a tuner with RDS available over 232
    2. Upgrade to an HD Radio tuner with metadata available over 232

    I am just starting to research this, so any thoughts would be great.

    Thank you.


    we have done it with the nuvo T2 Tuner. it does support RDS, we even display it on the touchpanel. but think first, that if stations send rubbish, or reception is bad, the tp will display rubbish.

    nuvo T2 Tuner supports the two RDS data fields Program Service Name (8 byte), and Radiotext (64 Bytes). some stations in my country send both, some only PSN for details read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System
Sign In or Register to comment.