Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Scrolling Feature

I would like to see a scrolling feature added as a selecteable feature to buttons in TPD4. It's a real pain trying to do this in code when you have large text files to display. In order to attemp a scrolling feature when you have a large text file whose size varies depending on the file being displayed you have to take word wrap array from the TP and handle it in code, determine the number of lines and track where you are dpending on what type of touch panel you need to send the file to 4 x 3, 16 x 9 and what font sizes your using in comparsion to TP screen size. You may use 10pt text on a CV7 but only 12pt on a CV17 which is propotional much different. Plus there's an inherent latency when trying to scroll with this method trying to retrieve text from the master as opposed to pulling lines from a buffer onboard the TP.

It would be so much simpler to keep the word wrap in the TP and if the VT field will needs a scrolling capabilty we should be able to select this in properties and further select either a max buffer size or max number of lines to go along with this scroll feature.

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    That's a real slick idea. The firmware people will have to mull that over for quite a while, I'm sure.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    While they are at it, something else that came up in another thread: make justification and text position separate properties. It's annoying as heck to have to manually justify an entry just because you are using an absolute text position - once you do that, the justification forces to left, and you have to turn off word wrap and add hard returns and spaces to get it to look nice - which is unusable for variable text without a boatload of further processing. This would probably also entail being able to set the text display rectangle, but that would be a further enhancement as far as I am concerned, not a drawback.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Dave,

Can you get halfway to where you want by just overlaying a transparent button set to pass through with the text over top of the original button?

Pain in the *** sometimes when moving buttons and such but a technique I've used.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    alexanbo wrote:
    Dave,

Can you get halfway to where you want by just overlaying a transparent button set to pass through with the text over top of the original button?

Pain in the *** sometimes when moving buttons and such but a technique I've used.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't build it in :). And yeah, that can be a pain when z-orders get mixed up and when moving thing around. Which is why it would be so much simpler to just be able to set a justification value independent of position.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Yeah so maybe a good feature to have would be the ability to group buttons together so that they act like one entity for moving etc.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Scrolling 16 char button arrays were a part of the first/second generation EL tp's that AMX ever made...

Someone knows how to do it!

:-)
  • From the Readme of the new 2.7 Release of TPDesign4:
    - Added support for list box buttons, list tables, and
    marquee-text features*

* As of this release (2.7), these features are supported on
    the R-4 device only

- This TPDesign4 release adds support for list box buttons
    as well as marquee text and the new page-flip "forget"
    acction for use with the R-4 remote device. The R-4
    device does support these new features.
    However, these features are also available for the other
    existing panel types, but are as yet not supported in the
    existing firmware of those devices.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Does anyone know if the scrolling feature has been made available in NXD/NXT panels yet?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I don't believe so but the MVP-5200i docs say they support it.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Yearly bump.

Any update on these features being available on all TPs?
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Can you not use a listbox?

One thing I would like to see in TPD4 is to separate the font type from its size. If I want to do a global change of the font, there isn't a way to do if you are using different font sizes (which of course you always are).
    Paul
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    why don't you use find & replace?
    You can search for font, then replace for another :)
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    What about scrolling text for G4 panels?
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Can you not use a listbox?
    I didn't realize this was available for the G4 panels. What are some good applications?
    One thing I would like to see in TPD4 is to separate the font type from its size. If I want to do a global change of the font, there isn't a way to do if you are using different font sizes (which of course you always are).
    Paul
    I agree with this...as has been commented before, it would be nice if TP4 acted like other programs - when multiple items are edited, the font field remains blank if the font sizes aren't the same.
    Colzie wrote: »
    I didn't realize this was available for the G4 panels. What are some good applications?

Are listboxes not available for G4 panels? I have used them for R4s but perhaps it isn't available for other TPs.
    Paul
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Are listboxes not available for G4 panels?
    Only R4 as per the TPD4 2.10 Help File
    G4 Devices That Support List Box Buttons
    At the time of this release, List Box button support is limited to the following G4 devices:

MIO R-4 Remotes
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Only R4 as per the TPD4 2.10 Help File

Interesting. I just downloaded the new TPD4 and it seems to support list boxes even for an 8400. At least the only file I have open is an 8400 and clicking on the listbox gives me the listbox dialog.
    Paul
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    The help file doesn't mention list boxes only being available for R4's.
    I reckon they should now also work for other Modero devices...
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    yuri wrote: »
    The help file doesn't mention list boxes only being available for R4's.
    I reckon they should now also work for other Modero devices...

Has this been verified yet?
    You don?t believe the help file quote at the top of this page, eh?
    The same quote holds true in the TPD4 2.11 help file as well.
    The only G4 device that supports list boxes at this time is the R-4.

I don?t think it?s an issue of TPD4 supporting list boxes for different panel types.
    It appears you can put them wherever you want.
    But if the TP firmware doesn?t support list boxes then it seems moot.
    According to AMX-PI only the R-4 supports the list box SEND_COMMANDs.

Has someone heard something or read something otherwise?
  • i am in the process of creating a scrolling source selector (ipod-ish) based on a multistate level.

ill let you know how i get on!

?trustworthy holdings, 2009 :-)
    i am in the process of creating a scrolling source selector (ipod-ish) based on a multistate level.

ill let you know how i get on!

?trustworthy holdings, 2009 :-)
    If you're going to do it the way I would do it - which would give a true iPod-ish look, you're going to run into a lot of commands going back and forth, thus bogging down the system. :D
    ?jeremiah james, 2006 ;)
  • nah, all i've done is have a single bitmap with three source graphics on, a multistate horizontal bargraph (display only) shifting the bitmap across 4-5 pixels at a time per state (approx 100), a drag-bargraph running horizontally underneath it (yet to design a graphic for it) using the same level code, then an invisible button above the source icon. when your desired source is in 'focus', hit the button and it will fire the function to select the relevant source, according to the value of the level (+/- 5 to allow for 'off-centre' focus)....not ipoddy at all really, but inspired by, and it certainly doesn't 'roll' like an iPod.

still a WIP, but its getting there....then it will be going in a high profile government building so it better work right!

i had 3am epiphany about how to do this really well about a week ago, and because I was too tired/cold/drunk/lazy to get up and write it down, I promptly forgot! So I'm winging it...
  • Marquee text

Has anyone played with this feature on a TP yet. Just tried it on a test button. The text scroll is painfully SLOW. There doesn't seem to be any properties to adjust for speed. The only option is repeat.
    Marquee Speed

You can adjust the marquee speed by going to File -> Project Properties (or hit F3) -> Panel Setup Information. There should be a "Marquee Speed" where 1 I believe is the slowest.
  • Are there any ways to adjust marquee properties from code? I cruised PI and didn't find anything. I'd like to enable/disable marquee scrolling based on whether the text is longer than the text box or not. (It looks weird to see "Songs" scrolling along a text box that will accommodate 26 characters.....)
  • Now that I've recovered my brain from the holiday bucket, I think I'll just disable the marquee feature for the button's off state, and turn the button on/off depending on text length.
    I think I'll just disable the marquee feature for the button's off state, and turn the button on/off depending on text length.
    If you haven’t already, consider using a fixed size font if you are going to trigger off of text length.