Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Anyone Know of a Serially Monitored Weather Station?

Greeings,

I am looking for a serially monitord home weather station for integration into AMX systems. Something that will report wind speed, direction, temperature, humidity, etc.

I am not looking for an external service such as IWeather.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    http://www.weatherhawk.com/

I just checked out the InConcert site and there's a Duet Module for it.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Davis makes one too, but last I pitched integrating one, I came to the conclusion that the added cost of the WeatherHawk would be offset by the fact that modules were already written for it - assuming they worked well.

What my customer wound up doing was buying a complete piece of junk (which he now regrets) made by La Crosse. It is controllable, but there is no published protocol. I had to hobble together a module from drips and drabs I got from a German hacker site. My module works, but the weather station itself is pretty unreliable. Still, it's a cheap solution if you aren't too serious about consistent reports - it has a tendency to report wild aberrant conditions on occasion.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I looked at the Davis Vantage Pro II. The protocol is on their website. Have you ever looked at it? It looks quite simple, like it sends all necessary data in one transmit with fixed offsets. I am probably going to purchase on of these for office to tinker with, then develop a module for it for clients.
  • Options
    joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    I looked at the Davis Vantage Pro II. The protocol is on their website. Have you ever looked at it? It looks quite simple, like it sends all necessary data in one transmit with fixed offsets. I am probably going to purchase on of these for office to tinker with, then develop a module for it for clients.

Hey Turnip,

I have installed a number of these and have one on my own roof. I've had issues with them in a coastal project. PCB oxidizing etc. They came out with an extreme retro-kit to solve it, as they were getting tired of swapping me boards.

There was a Oregon Scientific selling at Costco for a lot less that look very interesting. It has an RS232 connection. It might be worth checking out too.

My initial thought with the Davis was to use it to automate irrigation as it provides ET (Evapo Transpiration - reverse of rainfall). This was easily solved with a dedicated ET irrigation controller, which also provided a cheaper solution.

Joel
  • Options
    YuriyYuriy Posts: 20
    I used Davis Vantage Pro II. It works perfectly. The simple and clear protocol.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Yuriy wrote: »
    I used Davis Vantage Pro II. It works perfectly. The simple and clear protocol.
    How do you control it ? in RS-232 ? would you mind to share code ?

Thanks,

Vincèn