Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Copying out an entire AMX system

Hi all,
My names Ryan and I work for a law school in Boston.
We?re using an AMX, I believe it is a Netlinx v2.10.85, to control a number of classrooms (lights, curtains, cameras, feed switches, input, and output levels). We also have a touch panel in the head end that can also control the room cameras but is mostly for an Extron matrix router to rout our feeds to recorders. Right now everything?s up and running, but some of the touch panels are out dated with DVD players labeled as VCR?s. I have an old and incomplete copy of a Netlinx Studio workspace that doesn?t do me any good because of all the missing files.
Mind you, I don?t know too much about this system that being said here?s my questions.

QUESTIONS:
1. How can I download or upload a copy pf the entire AMX system to a computer?
This is two fold;
A.) I need to get the current working copy of our system to do changes
B.) and I also would like to be able to put everything back on to the controller and
return it to state it was in before any changes were made

2. What information should I keep handy about the system? For example do I need to
know what model touch screen I have in order to make a TPD for it?

3. My rack mount touch panel in the head end is AXM-CG10, but I don?t see that option
in TPDesign4? Any thoughts on that?

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    RKennedy wrote:
    Hi all,
    My names Ryan and I work for a law school in Boston.
    We?re using an AMX, I believe it is a Netlinx v2.10.85, to control a number of classrooms (lights, curtains, cameras, feed switches, input, and output levels). We also have a touch panel in the head end that can also control the room cameras but is mostly for an Extron matrix router to rout our feeds to recorders. Right now everything?s up and running, but some of the touch panels are out dated with DVD players labeled as VCR?s. I have an old and incomplete copy of a Netlinx Studio workspace that doesn?t do me any good because of all the missing files.
    Mind you, I don?t know too much about this system that being said here?s my questions.

QUESTIONS:
    1. How can I download or upload a copy pf the entire AMX system to a computer?
    This is two fold;
    A.) I need to get the current working copy of our system to do changes
    B.) and I also would like to be able to put everything back on to the controller and
    return it to state it was in before any changes were made
    You can use the File transfer interface within Netlinx Studio or the standalone FileTransfer app to RECEIVE the files. You will need to know the processor address details and the original programmer has to have uploaded the source when he/she transferred the program originally. If the source is not there, I don't know that there is a way to extract what is currently running there. After you receive the source file, you can use NetLinx Studio>Tools>File Extraction>Extract from SRC.
    Just keep a copy of this program and you can just send the original if you need.
    2. What information should I keep handy about the system? For example do I need to
    know what model touch screen I have in order to make a TPD for it?

3. My rack mount touch panel in the head end is AXM-CG10, but I don?t see that option
    in TPDesign4? Any thoughts on that?

I would gather the specifics on all devices connected (ie model numbers and control method).

The AXM-CG10 is an older G3 touch panel. You need to use TPD3 to modify the touchpanel.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff
  • Thanks for the info.
    I used 'FileTransfer 2' it found the 6 metaframes, but only 2 downloaded the SRC files. one was empty and the other had some lib files an AXI and an ASX.
    But the other 4 just failed. Might I need to configure the mapping?

Thanks
    Ryan
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    The AXI is an include file and the AXS should be the main source code. If you extract the second source file in NetLinx Studio, I think it will create a workspace, but it's been a while since I have extracted from a processor.

Jeff
  • thanks. Any ideas on connecting to the other devices?

ryan
  • Your easiest solution would be to advertise here for a local freelancer to come and fix it for you 8^)
  • Rod NRod N Posts: 28
    Go the aussie..!!.. Send him your Passport details dude!.. I'll come along for Light Bulb verification.
  • hahaha, Nice. yeah I'll get right on that, dig out my passport. We already have a vendor that does some of our AV stuff, HB Communication, but we were trying to keep this in-house.
    It's weird, Filetransfer 2 picked up all the devices, but the 4 it can't connect to I can't event ping? and of the 2 that I can connect to I can only download the src file, not that tpd or ir or any of the others?

Also 'Spire_Jeff' said I might need TPD3 for my AXM-CG10 touch panel, but I can't seem to find it on AMX.com. Any one have a copy?

thanks