Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Time Manager fails to contact server

I have two Netlinx systems on the sam LAN that run the Time Manager application for clock synch and to generate sunrise and sunset times.

One system is a NI-3000 with master firmware V 2.31.141 and device firmware V 1.00.118. On this system it works perfectly.

The second system is a NI-3000 running master firmware V 2.32.148 and device firmware 1.12.140. This system is newer and uses some Duet modules, thus the difference in firmware. The system fails to contact a timeserver, generating the log entry:

10: 02-07-2007 WED 16:58:20 SocketManager UNKNOWN HOST: utcnist.colorado.edu

which sounds like a DNS problem. Yet, as I mentioned at the outset, both systems are on the same LAN, have the same gateway, same DNS entries, etc.

Anyone run into this before? I wonder if the Duet-enabled systems have some differences?
Appreciate any suggestions or ideas to resolve this.

Rich Abel
ACE Designer / Programmer
Cello Technologies - Seattle

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    It does indeed sound like a DNS issue. Your positive the second master (running Duet) has the same DNS entered as the 1st master.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's not an inherent Duet problem - I have Duet masters that connect with no issue.

I once had a weird problem like this, and could not figure it out. Not only would the time manager not connect, but my dynamic DNS module wouldn't connect, and I could not remote in to the master with NAT. So I reset the master to DHCP, let it connect that way, then went back and changed it to a static IP. It all worked after that. MY settings before and after this procedure were identical, yet something changed to make it start working again. I can only guess there are some hidden settings that DHCP will clear.
  • Time manager issues

Thanks. I'll try that and see.

The time manager code refers to a list of timeservers

"Leave blank to read from time sevrer file (time/nist_svr.lst)"

any idea where I would find this list? I don't see it on my local PC.

Rich
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Rich Abel wrote:
    Thanks. I'll try that and see.

The time manager code refers to a list of timeservers

"Leave blank to read from time sevrer file (time/nist_svr.lst)"

any idea where I would find this list? I don't see it on my local PC.

Rich
    It's internal to the module. This is what I use; you really only want to specify a server if you have a local time server and want to use that.