Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

powerpoint wirelessly

My client would like to display their computer screen on the projector, from a wireless laptop. The projector is wired for component video back to the equipment rack. Is there a piece of equipment that can reside in the rack that will take the video from the projector over 802.11 and output component to the projector?

I know some products from D-link exist but I believe they only accept video, pictures, and audio, and come with some software interface. I just want a raw way to display the computer.

The only thing I know of that does this is People+Content IP from polycom. but that is way overkill for this application.

Comments

• Options
    funkfunk Posts: 18
    jessep wrote:
    My client would like to display their computer screen on the projector, from a wireless laptop. The projector is wired for component video back to the equipment rack. Is there a piece of equipment that can reside in the rack that will take the video from the projector over 802.11 and output component to the projector?

I know some products from D-link exist but I believe they only accept video, pictures, and audio, and come with some software interface. I just want a raw way to display the computer.

The only thing I know of that does this is People+Content IP from polycom. but that is way overkill for this application.
    I don't exactly understand your setup, esspecially these sentences:
    - The projector is wired for component video back to the equipment rack.
    Do you mean the projector has a component output that for some reason is wired to a receiver in your rack, or do you mean the component signal from the rack to the projector.

-...that will take the video from the projector over 802.11 and output component to the projector?
    What do you mean by '...video from the projector...'

Your answers might clear things a bit.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    They want to display the screen of a laptop, which only has an 802.11 connection, on the projector. The laptop is not in the rack with the wired connection; they want a way to capture the laptop video, and send it wirelessly to the rack.

The only thing I can think of is some type of video capture program that will output to a web server, then pick that up in the rack and re-send it to the projector. I know of a program (FRAPS) that will capture it to disc, but not specifically to a server, and you will likely need another computer to pick it up. Your laptop is going to have to pretty powerful to do this as well. I'm not sure, in the end, that doing it that way would be practical.
  • Options
    funkfunk Posts: 18
    Why not just use a second PC or laptop near the rack, so you can connect that one to the projector. Then use VNC to display the picture of the remote laptop onto the 'rack PC' via standard wireless networking. That image is then transmitted to the projector.
  • Options
    using another computer in the rack would work, I was just wondering if there was some dedicated product for this. What would be really cool would be a small box that sits next to the projector, connects to the wireless network, and outputs VGA to the projector. It could come with some software for the wireless laptop.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I did a quick Google search and found this thing.

http://sewelldirect.com/wireless-pc-to-tv.asp

I didn't read up on it but I suppose you could connect this to a VGA output on the laptop and put the receiving end at the rack switcher input.

The down side if this works at all would be having this little box connected to you lap top and supplying it power some how.

Other wise the rack mounted PC runnig the power point app with the Laptop controlling it via VNC sounds like the cleanest approach.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    jessep wrote:
    using another computer in the rack would work, I was just wondering if there was some dedicated product for this. What would be really cool would be a small box that sits next to the projector, connects to the wireless network, and outputs VGA to the projector. It could come with some software for the wireless laptop.

i KNOW there is a product that does this. We installed it at a site.
    Its a Wifi Access Point which has a VGA and an audio(!) output.
    It also has an Ethernet input, so you can still be connected to the network (since you can't connect to 2 wifi networks at the same time :) )
    I'll look if i can find the manufacturer and type of the product :)

edit:
    w00p, i found it :D
    http://addlogix.com/peripheral_sharing/echoview.htm
    look at the other products, they have some NICE stuff :)
  • Options
    yuri, thank you, that is brilliant, and I too will be thought so when I show my boss this :)
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    jessep wrote:
    yuri, thank you, that is brilliant, and I too will be thought so when I show my boss this :)

i have tested one, and they work pretty well. The only drawback is that they feel a bit cheap :)