Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

R-4 Tilt Switch?

Can I assume the tilt switch in the R-4 remotes will 1, put the remote to sleep and/or 2, de-activate all touch screen and hard button pushes.

I beleive this remote if it works the way it should it will be a very useful tool in the residential market. It's the perfect device for a home owner to carry around in the front pocket of their slacks especially while entertaining guests. So a tilt switch or some other mechanism to defeat button pushes while in the pocket is essential. Just imagine the possibilties with ability to pull a remote out of your pants pocket and from any where in the home and skip audio tracks, scoll through play list or libraries, turn on/off lights and turn off the sprinklers, what ever, during a party.

Now if you could enable dynamic images (mjpeg or mpeg 2/4) so you can view the front door cameras and some day get an IP intercom to work from the R4 and an exterior doorphone you'll have all residential needs covered.

Lot's of potential and I hope the current specs work as intended and the zigbee range and operation is adequate.

Can wait to try one! What's the current eta?

Comments

• travtrav Posts: 188
    We've had great response on the R4, such a shame it has been pushed back. As far as getting some dynamic images into them, I can see that cover art and things like that would work well, especially in the MAX as afaik it stores 3 (or was it 4) seperate sized images so getting a thumbnail that is of appropriate size for the R4's screen would be quite easy. Other dynamic images would need to be resized at some point, and that would require it to be 'inbuilt' somehow into the R4 and I don't see this being the case.

As far as some MPEG streams... well at least we are in the 2.4GHz range with the Zigbee so we can expect a theoretical 250Kbps (about 25K/s ish, give or take the whole 8bit per byte thing) which for a very low res mpeg4 or 2 would seem to be enough, but then... the decoding of that stream would again require some dsp in the device, so again, can't see that happening.

I'm trying to remember how the sensors work, I've had a play with one of the prototypes and it was really well received at the few shows I was at with it, great impressions from alot of designers and architects. The screen was really nice, reasonably responsive with the updates from the max server with the track listing. I can't remember for the life of me how the bloody sensor worked, I seem to remember it blanking the screen, as I would put it back in the cradle and take people over the 'R' stand and just tell them to grab a remote, the look on their faces when a full colour touch screen popped up in front of them was priceless ^_^

I will try and find out a little more and post back later.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Even if there is no switch, you might be able to add a LOCK REMOTE button. Or alternatively, lock the remote after 1 min of non-use.... If you feel really motivated, you could develop an algorithm that interprets multiple button presses over a given time to look for nonsensical entries.... or maybe watch for a button that gets held for a long time.

A very good idea tho... definately an issues I will have to be aware of when we finally get our R4s to play with.

Jeff
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Is there any info as to when these will be shipping? I have had 2 on order since early November.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Last I heard, they are thinking first part of March. I am guessing we won't be hearing any new projected release dates tho to avoid the inevitable complaining about missing them... instead, one day I will walk into the office and be extremely excited and surprised when I see the AMX box sitting on my desk without any advanced warning. :)

Jeff
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I had a meeting with the East Coast Sales Rep last week who said they are shipping. Now how many are shipping and how fast they go through production and how long it will take to ship all back orders is another question.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    vining wrote:
    I had a meeting with the East Coast Sales Rep last week who said they are shipping. Now how many are shipping and how fast they go through production and how long it will take to ship all back orders is another question.

Cool. That I can live with.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    We had one here a couple weeks ago (only for a day) and it is very, verY, veRY, vERY, VERY cool! I can not wait to sell these with ever job.