Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Monitoring Home Current & Water Consumption

Anyone monitoring the AC current consumption and voltage coming in to a residence? What about water consumption?

I am considering using a Simpson current sensor (outputs 4-20mA), an Omega DRF-PR (converts 4-20mA to 0-10VDC), and the AMX NXC-VAI4 card (0-12 VDC input) to give me a sense of what current the residence is consuming.

I am also considering a water flow meter that has a 4-20mA output as well (or maybe a contact closure pulse output) from Hays Fluid Controls.

Any suggestions, tips or tricks out there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I haven't gone to the lengths it seems you are looking for, but I would be very interested in what you find as a solution. As for what I have done, I have monitored incoming Voltage using Tripplite UPS units. I'm not sure if the provide any current usage, as I have only ever needed to monitor incoming voltage and frequency.

Jeff
  • Options
    YuriyYuriy Posts: 20
    For "monitoring the AC current consumption and voltage coming in to a residence": Siemens SIMEAS T
  • Options
    GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I've programmed a couple homes for water - different versions.

1. Water bugs under sinks, washers and anything else you can think of. All run back to the security system. This never mad sense to me, say you're on vacation and you get a call ... WATER! What do you do?? Call a friend?

2. Same idea but with logic that can shut off the main water supply. You can even shut off the water if it runs to long.

I could have used this once. I was filling the pool and forgot - of course it was my wife's fault because she should have remembered!?
    If I had system 2 I could have coded - If security armed and water runs for over 1 min shut it off OR if water runs over 1 hour shut it off. You get the idea.
  • Options
    roognationroognation Posts: 138
    Yuriy wrote:
    For "monitoring the AC current consumption and voltage coming in to a residence": Siemens SIMEAS T

Hmm. Siemens sound interesting. Got any links to this product?

Thanks!