Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Extron Switcher Problem

I have an Extron Crosspoint Plus 12x8 hooked up to an NI-3000, and I cannot seem to get the communcations between the two working. I've gotten the code down to just sending the string "1*1&" which should just switch input 1 video to output 1, and the response I get from the Extron is "g6", which I cannot find to mean anything in the SIS. Anyone have any ideas? I am setting the baud in an online data event using send_command (SEND_COMMAND dvPC_SWT, 'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1) and then I used send_string to send the string "1*1&" to the device. Like I said, I see it getting sent in the Netlinx Diagnostics window, but the response I get back is incorrect.

Thanks very much for any help!

Comments

• matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    I'm not sure if you just entered it into your post wrong, but you need to make sure you send
    '1*1&'

instead of
    "1*1&"

. I don't know what 'g6' would be either, but you could indeed get something strange back if you weren't sending the string to it properly.
  • jswilsonjswilson Posts: 17
    I am sending '1*1&', thanks for the correction; I do coding on a separate machine, so copy and paste isn't an option :)

You're right, it seems like I must not be setting it up correctly since the response is garbage. I'm going to keep going through the code.

Thanks!
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    is your cable correct?
    try sending through terminal window in Netlinx Studio.
    Try sending from Diagnostics window in Netlinx Studio.

Extron switcher are like the easiest to program ;)
    I use a standard (not crossover) serial cable between the NI-3000 and the extron.

I tried through the terminal. I typed:

send_command 5001:4:1, 'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1'
    send_string 5001:4:1, '1*1&'

And I viewed the same output on the Netlinx Diagnostics window as before (I received "g6" back from the extron)

I also tried sending the command from Netlinx Diagnostics with the same results.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    The only problem that I ever had in regards to control with Extron had to do with the dip switch settings on the back of the Extron.
    The only dipswitched on the back of mine are the sync termination switches (labelled "INPUTS 75 ohm"), which I didn't think are used for comm. Are these these the dip switches you're referring to? Do you remember any info about them? The user's guide says to flip them if the picture is out of sync, but I'm not even looking at video right now, I'm just working on programming. Thank you for helping me through this one, everyone!
    Next, I tried hooking the extron up right to my PC. I powered the extron off and back on, and I got a sign of life; it seemed to send a startup message with copyright info, "Extron Electronics", etc, but when I try to send strings to the extron after that, I get no response whatsoever. I first tried Hyperterminal, but it's somewhat difficult to use for this, so I am now using a program called Advanced Serial Port Monitor.
  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    Extron Crosspoint

Try using the other level characters !, $, %, in place of the &, and see what happens.

I have had issues controlling some of the Extron matrix switchers with older firmware.

One case, the switcher (being RGBHV) would not respond to the "&".

I had to actually use the "%" and treat it like an AV switcher.
    Well, I found the answer...it was a bad cable. I tried another cable, worked with no problem. Go figure...

Thanks for all the responses, though, this board is always speedy and helpful!
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    jswilson wrote:
    Well, I found the answer...it was a bad cable. I tried another cable, worked with no problem. Go figure...

Thanks for all the responses, though, this board is always speedy and helpful!

told you so ;)
  • Just a heads up...

Extron is changing their command format. Some of their new equipment requires a return and a line feed at the end of the command! ( "'1*1!',$0D,$0A" )