Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect

VA version 1.2 where is it

VA version 1.2 was suppose to be out last month.
Anybody heard someting?

Comments

• VisualArchitect 1.2 Release

I know that you are anxious to receive the new release and AMX wants to make sure that it is the best VA release yet. With this release you will be able to add HEX strings, easily create channel presets, Intercom, DMS, and R4 pages. Please watch for VA 1.2 this week!
    Thanks for your patience.
    Doug Hall
    AMX Senior Product Manager
  • 1.2 will not load

Webupdate downloaded and tried to install it today. It gets errors when trying to install the sql server. Error code is 2. When I look at the logs, it lists one or more .cpp files that can not be found.
  • Danny Campbell -
    Please give Tech Support a call on this issue. They will want to know whether you were a beta customer from VA 1.1, if you installed a pre-release version of VA 1.1 on that machine, and they will want you to have your log files gathered for reference. Thanks!
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    After installer 1.2 through web update and try to open it, I get the following message:
    The installed device database version 1.1.46 does not meet the required minimum version of 1.2.46; please visit www.amx.com for an update.

So far, I haven't been able to find a database update in the web site.
  • flcusat wrote:
    After installer 1.2 through web update and try to open it, I get the following message:
    The installed device database version 1.1.46 does not meet the required minimum version of 1.2.46; please visit www.amx.com for an update.

So far, I haven't been able to find a database update in the web site.

I also get this error. I reported this to Doug Hall and he send me the following:
    You will probably need to go through Tech Support for help with this.
    From the PV notes, I found the following description:
    Device Database other than version 1.2.46
    1.2.46 is the released version of the database that went out with Rogue 1.2. Everyone should be running that version. If not they should provide copies of the installation log files. The VA installation log can be located in the following location: \Program Files\AMX Control Disc\VisualArchitect\INSTALL.LOG The VA database install log file can be located in the root directory of the C:\ drive: AMXDbInstall.log The VA database can be found in: \Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\VASupportFiles\Device Database\VADB.log I hope this helps, Doug
    Whatever "Rogue 1.2" is.....
    Thanks,I'll call them up in the morning.
  • We found a solution:

!!! Try at your own risk !!!
    (Assuming that VA1.1 is installed)
    - go to Control Panel -> Software
    - uninstall "Microsoft SQL Server" (only Server, seems that other MSSQGL components don't need to be removed
    - install the VA1.2 update, should work

Have not tried the above if VA1.2 installation has failed before.

It seems that the MSSQL 2005 update will fail.

I have reported this to Tech Support, let's see.
    We found a solution:

!!! Try at your own risk !!!
    (Assuming that VA1.1 is installed)
    - go to Control Panel -> Software
    - uninstall "Microsoft SQL Server" (only Server, seems that other MSSQGL components don't need to be removed
    - install the VA1.2 update, should work

Have not tried the above if VA1.2 installation has failed before.

It seems that the MSSQL 2005 update will fail.

I have reported this to Tech Support, let's see.

It worked like as charm. Thanks very much. I will recommend to somebody trying this to create a restore point in the machine before; in case that you need to return the computer to the previous state.
  • The above solution will also work if you tried to update VA1.2 and it has failed with the Device database issue.
    Simply remove the SQL server and reinstall VA1.2 Update again.
    This is an issue that I've been dealing with for sometime now and is that when I do a web update duet modules, there is always a number of devices that for some reason don't update. Anybody else having this problems?
  • flcusat wrote:
    This is an issue that I've been dealing with for sometime now and is that when I do a web update duet modules, there is always a number of devices that for some reason don't update. Anybody else having this problems?

Have also that problem (can only check on 1 PC right now because of our network setup - our web access is by Proxy on port 8080, but the Duet Module Webupdate works only straight on port 80. Only my PC is "open" at the moment).

The Duet Module update WILL work - but the downloaded jar files have a size of 0 bytes, so VA and Webupdate don't take care of them....

I have reported that to Tech Support.
    Have also that problem (can only check on 1 PC right now because of our network setup - our web access is by Proxy on port 8080, but the Duet Module Webupdate works only straight on port 80. Only my PC is "open" at the moment).

The Duet Module update WILL work - but the downloaded jar files have a size of 0 bytes, so VA and Webupdate don't take care of them....

I have reported that to Tech Support.

Where do you find the file's size?
  • flcusat wrote:
    Where do you find the file's size?
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\Duet\module
    is the place VA is installing the JARs.
    This folder is also set in NetLinx Studio in the NetLinx Compiler properties.
    Thanks. I should know that. I was looking for that information in the web update duet module window.
    Marc let me abuse of your knowledge and generosity. I'm new to AMX so be patient with me. I'm doing just a test with VA creating a project just with a Russound SMS3 music server. When I create the project I don't get anything in the UI for the SMS3. What this means?. Am I doing something wrong or VA won't create a UI for this device?
  • flcusat wrote:
    Marc let me abuse of your knowledge and generosity. I'm new to AMX so be patient with me. I'm doing just a test with VA creating a project just with a Russound SMS3 music server. When I create the project I don't get anything in the UI for the SMS3. What this means?. Am I doing something wrong or VA won't create a UI for this device?

I tried and get the same, seems that there is no "server GUI template" in VA.

I also tried a MAX-T04 with the same result first. But if I add i.e. a MAX-AVP to my MAX-HT04 system, I get a GUI for "Digital Media Decoder".

There are functions in the codebuilder to control the servers (play, pause, etc), but in case of the Russound you have to design the panel pages manually, and so you can't use the codebuilder of VA directly.
    Manually programming in the CUSTOM.AXI may be required for the Russound.
  • Unhappy camper

I've tried all kinds of things, both those mentioned above and others. It just will not install. I've uninstalled the SQL Server several times. I've uninstalled VA completely. It will not load the database properly.

The history is that I had never installed any beta versions of VA. I installed 1.0 from the CD, 1.1 from the CD, and now have tried 1.2 using the download.

I've uninstalled SQL Server and VA completely. Then deleted all of the directories that I could find where they had loaded software. The gone through the registry and deleted any and all references to either.

I downloaded the 2005 Express from Microsoft and successfully loaded. Then tried to install VA. It sees that 2005 is installed and good, then craps out on the database install.

I've tried to install it over 20 times now trying different approaches between installs. I've even gone into the SQL Server configuration utility and tried to jiggle around startup parameters. Tried starting from the command line. Nothing!!!

The best I can get is the error report in the attached image. Since I don't have time to clean off the hard drive and rebuild my system from scratch, I guess I'll just have to live without 1.2. I can always reinstall 1.1 from the CD - that works just fine.

And yes, I did send an email to tech support with my initial problem, but no response so far. I've already solved that issue by going to the microsoft support forum.

Thank you for the opportunity to vent.
  • Happy camper

Not being able to give up on a challenge like this, I made another attempt at the install this morning.

A few months ago, I noticed that the old 40GB laptop drive was getting full. I turned compression on for the entire drive.

When loading the MS SQL during attempt # 1, I got a message that said it could not be installed in a compressed folder. I set the Microsoft SQL Server directory so that it would not be compressed, and the message went away.

When I finally rolled out of bed this morning, I had the brainstorm to set the VASupportFiles folder under AMXShare to not be compressed, since the data base files live in a directory there.

That was the final step to make it work. For some reason, I had two major issues with installing the software. First was a missing registry entry that I manually corrected using info from the Microsoft web site. The second was the two folders that can't be compressed. The first issue generated a cryptic error message that I had to track down. In this case it made no difference if I was using the Microsoft downloaded install or the one that was included with the VA download. The second problem generated a very clear message from the SQL Server install portion of the process, but did not generate an understandable message from the VA portion of the process.

I think what was really causing me excessive aggrivation was the fact that the install wouldn't just blow and go. Instead, it would crap out and then give me the screen asking if I wanted to view the readme file. Why would I want to read the readme file (again) for software that I couldn't get to load? It was kind of like it was saying "here are the new features THAT YOU CAN'T USE - HAHAHAHA".
    I tried and get the same, seems that there is no "server GUI template" in VA.

I noticed this morning that AMX had a new version of the Russound's SMS3 media server on Friday afternoon. I loaded manually but still not UI. I'm going to call them up on morning and see what they have to say.
  • more devices needed

I installed 1.2 (removed SQL server first)
    There is more devices than before, but everytime I do a project with VA, I have to have that devices that is not there.
    Unless I'm blind (my wife keep telling mw that), anybody saw something with TV sensor?
  • VA database installation problems

This is a new issue and may be fixed by running a script available from AMX Technical Support. The command script will reset the VA Database to a pre-install state. After running this script, reinstalling VA should install correctly. This should work for anyone with this particular issue. It deletes the version entry for the VA database and then deletes the database itself. This causes the VA database installer to detect that even though you have SQL installed, the VA database is not there so it simply copies the one that is bundled with the install and attaches to it.
    Doug Hall
    Visual Architect Product Manager
  • The fix
    Doug Hall wrote:
    This is a new issue and may be fixed by running a script available from AMX Technical Support. The command script will reset the VA Database to a pre-install state. After running this script, reinstalling VA should install correctly. This should work for anyone with this particular issue. It deletes the version entry for the VA database and then deletes the database itself. This causes the VA database installer to detect that even though you have SQL installed, the VA database is not there so it simply copies the one that is bundled with the install and attaches to it.
    Doug Hall

See tech note 813.
    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=813
  • Doug Hall wrote:
    Doug Hall

WHY should we all bother with this - is VA really worth the effort?
    and Shouldn't AMX only release code when they are 100% ( ok maybe 99.5%) certain that it can be installed and run correctly...
    I certainly don't have the time to spend trawling through forums just to find fixes for dodgy software...
  • VA database installation issue

As with any complex software, regardless of the level of testing, issues will be uncovered in the field due to unforseen PC configurations and combinations of installed software. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may experience as this product undergoes growth and maturity. The installation problems that were found were quickly documented and are available through AMX Technical Support. AMX is committed to delivering a superior software product that will streamline the sales, development, and documentation process' for our dealers and independent programmers.
    We hope that you find VisualArchitect to be a useful tool and we appreciate your feedback and comments.
    Doug Hall
    VisualArchitect Product Manager
  • Doug Hall wrote:
    Doug Hall

Hi Guys,
    I've been away for a bit and just tried to upgrade. I found this after struggling with Tech Note 813. Question - I've run the reset cmd file, but how do I trigger the re-install from WebUpdate? It still thinks VA 1.2 is up to date.

Dan
  • Thanks, but never mind, folks. I found the original installer file buried deep in my system32 folder.
  • VA Re-Install using WebUpdate

I'm glad that you found a good workaround for the installation since you did not have a 1.2 disc.
    For future reference, there is a way to use WebUpdate:
    Since the installation was not "uninstalled", the installation "markers" in the registry still exist. Since WebUpdate depends upon these markers, the only way to get WebUpdate to do this for you (instead of just doing it manually, is to either uninstall the application, or go into WebUpdate, deselect all the applications except Visual Architect, and check the "Ignore existing installed applications when checking versions" flag. Once the install is complete, uncheck this flag, and enable all the other applications in which you might have an ongoing interest.