Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Ipod 2 way control

Just curious if anyone knows about an AMX module for the Ipod. ******** themselves + at least 2 independent programming companies have the hardware and programming for ********. I can reverse engineer one of these to make it work for AMX, but I'd rather not unless I have to.

I'm getting clients who are sick of maintaining both an Audio Request and an IPOD and would rather just keep the Ipod + Itunes.

OP

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Oliver,

I would advice you to use jukebox software such as slimserver that is free (http://www.slimdevices.com) and an excellent module free of source is avalaible to control it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/netlinx-modules If you install the jukebox server in its OSX version on a mac, it'll interface seamlessly with iTunes and so with iPod of customer. I do that at my home with my own system (i'm a mac user).

Have fun

Vinc
  • Ipod 2 way control

Oliver,

We kicked around this topic in several other threads:

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=951
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=967

If I understand correctly, the other company has introduced a device for its product line that provides the control, audio, and video connectivity for the iPod to their control system in a manner similar to that provided by the Sonance iPort device. They also provided a module for their control system that allows 2-way control of the iPod through their interface device. Similarly, as Chip pointed out in one of the other threads, Zemma has introduced a docking product for the iPod that supports the RS232 control interface and they too have a module available for it.

The Sonance iPort device works with either control system and they have produced Beta versions of modules for both control systems along with touchpanel reference files.

As Chip pointed out, it would be possible to write a module for iPod RS232 control that is not specific to any of the docking solutions. You would of course need to obtain an RS232 control cable for the iPod that would connect to Netlinx since the RS232 (docking) port on the iPod can not be connected directly to Netlinx without some electrical signal conversion (voltage differences in the interfaces). Also, as Chip points out, the serial protocol is not public domain. He has been working on a module for AMX but is not sure it can be released because of non-disclosures. Since Sonance, Zemma, and the other control company seem to be working with Apple (licensing), they have access to the protocol for the device. Provided you can come up with a suitable cable solution (such as using the Zemma cable), you could reverse engineer the protocol and produce your own module.

Check out the other threads for some related information. I am sure you will start to see more docking stations and control cable solutions come on the market soon.

Reese
  • ondrovicondrovic Posts: 217
    here is the portocol for the iport ( http:/www.iportmusic.com ), they also have a module that you can download but you have to be a dealer with them. I am waiting on an email from them.

Not sure if this is going to help anyone but here you go
  • The Sonance iPort AMX module is already available on the AMX website for download. It became available this week.

Regards,

Steve
  • JimiJimi Posts: 10
    Is there another module besides the beta

I'm new to this forum. Actually this is my first post. But I plan on being pretty active.

Anyway, I've been poking around this IPORT module that I got from the AMX site. It's OK but is there a more up to date one around. This one is labled as a BETA version.

Also, I noticed when I was using it that the processor was spitting out all kinds of illegal reference errors when it received list info back from the IPORT. I'm sure that this has to slow down the responce.

One more thing. Do modules typically come with some sort of documentation? The IPORT duet module comes with a word document. But this one doesn't have anything.

I'm not ACE yet so I can't get to the other threads on this subject. Hopefully in a couple months though
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Jim,
    all the modules ive ever used from the AMX website had documentation in the form of a word document explaining the various functions of the module. (send_commands, etc) So maybe because the iPort module is in beta shape it doesnt include this for now?

EDIT:
    i checked the .zip file (iPort.zip) and it didnt include any document indeed. The Duet module (iPort_IW5_v1.0.0.zip) DOES include documentation...
    i guess you are gonna have to find some stuff out on your own ;)
  • Updated iPort Module

There is a more updated version of the Netlinx Module that I can send to you. It contains the following fixes:

List of the fixes within the UI file:

1. Playlists now show if less than 11 total in listing (index 0 fix).
    2. Unicode Support for Modero Touch Panels (need Netlinx Studio 2.4 for this).
    3. Level controlling list now reports correctly and will not display a list less than 10 if there is more than 10 records within the requested database.
    4. Improved control of list with up and down arrows:
    - does not allow list to go less than 1 and flip to 65535.
    - does not allow list to go past total amount of records in database.
    - Level bargraph disabled when records in database are less than the default list length.
    5. If a field in the list does not contain text it will not allow a selection.
    6. It now clears lists whenever a Menu command is received and not only when on the main menu.
    7. x/x reports correctly in all menus when the Menu button is selected.
    8. The only time it shows a list less than the default list size is when the record database is less than the default list size.

We are working on other fixes at the moment and are working on a Word Doc file for the Netlinx version (thus the reason this updated version is not released on the website) but if you so desire an updated version of the module with the above listed fixes I can send it to you without the documentation. This also includes a TPD4 file for the Widescreen version of the CV10. There is also some new commands for the COMM that will be programmed when I get the iPort firmware update in the near future which will create a module revision for those who have already received the update.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    documentation?

Is the documentation available for this module yet?
  • Documentation Update

We are scheduled to have the Documentation for the Netlinx Module ready by the end of April 2007. Hopefuly we will have the Video bugs worked out also by this time for version 3.0 release.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've just installed the latest non-Duet version of the iPort module, and it works beautifully. One of the smoothest updates I've ever done for a customer's system.
    Is this an appropriate place to ask questions about the module that we need answered before the end of the month? If so, is there a way to play all the songs by a particular artist without giong into the "album" level? (There's no "All >" choice in the iPort interface)

To clarify: when I start a search by hitting the Artists button, it shows me a list of artists, then it shows me a list of albums for each artist. I want to play all songs regardless of album. Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is something I wish to offer and the mechanism for doing this is not obvious from the UI module.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    I ended up modifiying the UI module to make this happen. I actually just added buttons that would play that item now, whether it be an artist, album or song.

This was the code I ended up putting under the release for the button
    IF(nHOLD = 0) // Disables Hold Repeat
    {
    	nHOLD = 1
    	IF(LENGTH_STRING(cINDEX_LIST_1[nCURRENT_MENU][1][(nKEY_PRESSED - 35)]) = 0) //Checks array to see if position is empty and if so will not allow user to select nothing
             {
    	       //Do Nothing
    	}
    	ELSE // Since the array has something it allows the selection
    	{
    		//fnINDEX_HILITE(nKEY_PRESSED - 12)
    		nSELECT_FLAG = 1
    		fnPROCESS_SELECTION(nKEY_PRESSED - 35)
    	}
    }

and I can't remember if i needed to change some stuff in the menu processing, I think I added a refresh for the currently playing song after the selection was processed.
  • 'ALL' option on iPort lists

You can ask questions about this here even after the end of this month if the documentation is not sufficient.

The iPod does not report the ALL option that is shown on the iPod interface itself but that does not keep us from accomplishing this. It is now programmed, in the next version (3.0), to show all songs if there are no albums or just 1 album listed for that particular artist. It is a bit tricky to do this since we essentially jump over the albums list to accomplish this so when going back in the menu we need to remember to jump again back to the artists list.

Here is what it is currently programmed to do when an artist is selected and NUMBER_DB_RECORDS= is returned from the COMM module:

CASE 2: //Artists goes to Albums(3) on 2nd Menu
    			    {
    				IF(nMENU_RECORD_COUNT[nCURRENT_MENU] < nCURRENT_INDEX_LENGTH) //is there less albums in the database for this artist than the total list length?
    				{
    				    IF(nMENU_RECORD_COUNT[nCURRENT_MENU] <= 1) //Send it to songs if there is 1 album or less
    				    {
    					nCURRENT_CATEGORY2[3] = 3 //Current category on Menu 3 is 3 or Albums
    					nCURRENT_INDEX_START = 0 //Reset counter for list return to 0
    					SEND_CMD("'SELECT_DB_RECORD=3:0'") //Select Albums from this artist
    					WAIT 2 
    					SEND_CMD("'GET_NUMBER_CATEGORIZED_DB_RECORDS?5'") // Look for number of Songs in the selected Artist 
    					fnCLEAR_LIST()
    					nCURRENT_MENU++ //Jump a menu
    					nNO_ALBUM = 1 // Set for when going back it will go to Artists list
    				    }
    				    ELSE //there were more than 1 albums per this artist - show me the albums
    				    {
    					SEND_CMD("'RETRIEVE_CATEGORIZED_DB_RECORDS?3:0:',ITOA(nMENU_RECORD_COUNT[nCURRENT_MENU]-1)") // -1
    					nCURRENT_CATEGORY2[3] = 3
    					nCURRENT_INDEX_START = 0
    				    }
    				}
    				ELSE //More albums in the list than the total List length
    				{
    				    SEND_CMD("'RETRIEVE_CATEGORIZED_DB_RECORDS?3:0:',ITOA(nCURRENT_INDEX_LENGTH-1)") // -1
    				    nCURRENT_CATEGORY2[3] = 3
    				    nCURRENT_INDEX_START = 0
    				}
    			    }

Modified to jump over Albums list everytime and just show songs when the artist is selected:
    			    CASE 2: //Artists goes to Albums(3) on 2nd Menu
    			    {
    					//SEND_VTEXT(TP_FIELDS[2],'ALL')
    					nCURRENT_CATEGORY2[3] = 3 //Current category on Menu 3 is 3 or Albums
    					nCURRENT_INDEX_START = 0 //Reset counter for list return to 0
    					SEND_CMD("'SELECT_DB_RECORD=3:0'") //Select Albums from this artist
    					WAIT 2 
    					SEND_CMD("'GET_NUMBER_CATEGORIZED_DB_RECORDS?5'") // Look for number of Songs in the selected Artist 
    					fnCLEAR_LIST()
    					nCURRENT_MENU++ //Jump a menu
    					nNO_ALBUM = 1 // Set for when going back it will go to Artists list
    			    }

Here is the menu back programming with the nNO_ALBUM addition under the button events - (see the variable usage nNO_ALBUM towards the bottom)
    BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP,TP_BUTTONS] //Buttons pushed 
    {
        PUSH:
        {	
    	iCURRENT_TP_PORT = button.input.device.port
    	nKEY_PRESSED = GET_LAST(TP_BUTTONS) //Get last button pushed on panel
            debug(1,"'key pressed:',itoa(nKEY_PRESSED)")
            SWITCH(nKEY_PRESSED)
    	{
    	    CASE 1:	// Menu (Back button)
    	    {
    		SEND_COMMAND dvTP,'@PPN-SONG DETAILS;iPort Main'           // Popup iPort List on
    		SEND_CMD("'SET_PLAY_STATUS_CHANGE_NOTIFICATION=1'") //Stop Time return
    		nCURRENT_INDEX_START = 0
    		IF(nCURRENT_MENU > 1)// AND !nNOW_PLAYING)
    		{

nCURRENT_MENU = nCURRENT_MENU - 1
    		    SEND_LEVEL dvTP,TP_LEVELS[1],0 //Reset list bargraph to 0 - Edit v1_1 8-18-2006
    		    IF(nCURRENT_MENU > 1)
    		    {
    			STACK_VAR INTEGER i

IF(nNO_ALBUM = 1) // Added for when there are no albums for a specific artist to jump back to artists
    			{
    			    nCURRENT_MENU = 2
    			    nNO_ALBUM = 0
    			}
    			FOR(i=1; i < (nCURRENT_INDEX_LENGTH + 1);i++)
    			{
    			    SEND_VTEXT(TP_FIELDS[i+1],"cINDEX_LIST_1[nCURRENT_MENU][1][i]")
    			}

nNO_ALBUM will need to be added as a global variable under Define_Variable

Hope this helps. Let me know via private message if you need the 3.0 beta where I can give you actual line numbers to understand this better.

- Jonny
  • roognationroognation Posts: 138
    Still Peppy ?

Drool on the new functionality, but will the new version still be peppy?

Clients, me, and most people really don't like to press, wait, repeat.

Aloha
  • Smooth iPort update
    DHawthorne wrote:
    I've just installed the latest non-Duet version of the iPort module, and it works beautifully. One of the smoothest updates I've ever done for a customer's system.

Very good to hear! Hopefully the next version will be as solid if not better, especially with the addition of the documentation.
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309

I'm getting clients who are sick of maintaining both an Audio Request and an IPOD and would rather just keep the Ipod + Itunes.

OP

I guess you are aware of Netsync for iTunes from Request which will allow you to have all the Music in iTunes and the music server synced an not need to use and iPod docking station.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    flcusat wrote:
    I guess you are aware of Netsync for iTunes from Request which will allow you to have all the Music in iTunes and the music server synced an not need to use and iPod docking station.

Even if they downloaded the music from iTunes?
    alexanbo wrote:
    Yep! ReQuest's system uses tunebite to write the mp3s so that they can be moved from PC to/from server. Apparently this is legal because tunebite does not change the something-something on the mp3s which would make it ILLEGAL. Call your ReQuest guy for more accurate techical information :p
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    alexanbo wrote:

What Matt said.
  • KimsonKimson Posts: 33
    Could "Netlinx Module v2 Beta 110906" can play video?
    Thanks!
  • Version 3.0 will be the first release to enable control of the Video side of the iPod by way of the newest verion of the IW5 iPort and FS5 iPort.
    JonnyAMX wrote:
    Version 3.0 will be the first release to enable control of the Video side of the iPod by way of the newest verion of the IW5 iPort and FS5 iPort.
    Thank you.
    Hope the version3 will release as soon as possble.

Is there any other release version and module can use video function?
  • Kimson wrote:
    Is there any other release version and module can use video function?

No. Version 3.0 of the Netlinx module will be the first release to enable the video functionality of either the Netlinx module or the Duet module for the iPort.
    If you want to play video, you need to buy something

By the iPort techsupport i knew that if you want to play video:
    1, Update the firmware of iPort, its update by firmware update kit(#70064)
    2, Need a new RS232 card called authentication board

And they said that:
    The new RS232 card allows you control the video content on the iPod through the RS232 port. This was a feature that was not available before and we are the first to offer it. It is bad timing on Apples part to give us this feature late in the game but we do have it now and at least our dock is upgradeable were other companies will need to offer a whole new dock.
  • iPort Documentation for Netlinx Module v2.01

I have completed the documentation for the iPort Netlinx Module version 2.01 and have attached it here. This should be posted on the AMX Inconcert website with the Netlinx Module download within the next week.

Version 3.0 is still in the works for another few weeks.
    JonnyAMX wrote:
    I have completed the documentation for the iPort Netlinx Module version 2.01 and have attached it here. This should be posted on the AMX Inconcert website with the Netlinx Module download within the next week.

need to wait for few weeks...oh~~~~~~~~~~~~~!
    Anyway, Thanks.
    JonnyAMX wrote:

any new version?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    V3.0 Beta "Duet" was released a few weeks ago!
  • 3.0 Duet iPort module
    vining wrote:
    V3.0 Beta "Duet" was released a few weeks ago!

I am not aware of any Duet version updates from AMX. The current released Duet version is 1.0.2 on the AMX website.

We are still working on the v3.0 Netlinx module. There is a v3.0 beta Netlinx module but the video portion still needs work before the full release to the website. The music side of v3.0 is working well.
    JonnyAMX wrote:
    I am not aware of any Duet version updates from AMX. The current released Duet version is 1.0.2 on the AMX website.

We are still working on the v3.0 Netlinx module. There is a v3.0 beta Netlinx module but the video portion still needs work before the full release to the website. The music side of v3.0 is working well.
    Thanks for the reply.
    If there is any new release, please notify us.