Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Wireless laptop input to Conference Room?

A potential customer just handed me a strange request for a new conference room-He wants participants to be able to bring in their laptops equipped with only wireless network cards, and be able to display the laptop screen on the room's projector.

Is this feasible/practical? The only way I know how to do it is with a VNC session running on both the laptop and a PC which is cabled into the projection system.

AMX PC and Web Control come to mind, but don't really do exactly what he is asking for.

Also some newer projectors have wireless network ability?

I think the customer is a bit naive, but don't want to tell him so without researching it. Since any laptop will need AC power anyway after an hour or so, why not just put in recessed table boxes with AC, network and inputs to the system?

Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks

Comments

• How about passing these out to the participants?

http://www.jonescam.tv/catalog/product_info.php?pid=56&pname=&tab=information

Take the feeds, run 'em through a matrix switcher or multiplexer and bam! Only thing is they have to look at their screens when it's their turn on the projector... :)

--John
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Look at this thread. Yuri posted a link a while back for wireless VGA or something to that affect.

http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=2450&highlight=wireless+pc
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i have one of those on my desk and i must say, it still amazes me how good they work :)
    You could also use something like the Panasonic PTLB50NTE which has wireless built in.
    The only problem is that only one person can display an image at a time. You have to disconnect / connect again to get another image :)
  • gregrgregr Posts: 54
    Vining, I saw the thread you linked just after I posted my question.

Amazing widget. If it works, it is just what they are asking for, but I think I will still recommend wired boxes on the table as a backup.

thanks.