Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware AutoPatch Forum

PrecisLT and Digital Audio

I'm having some issues with understanding marketing materials, and I'm hoping someone here has dealt with this stuff. I'm trying to understand how one would set up a PrecisLT to route digital audio. From the autopatch catalog, it says that the PrecisLT can route AES 75 ohm and S/PDIF over the standard video boards. Does this imply that you get Digital audio by using video inputs? Or does that mean any input can be digital audio?

Thanks.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    wberriel1 wrote:
    I'm having some issues with understanding marketing materials, and I'm hoping someone here has dealt with this stuff. I'm trying to understand how one would set up a PrecisLT to route digital audio. From the autopatch catalog, it says that the PrecisLT can route AES 75 ohm and S/PDIF over the standard video boards. Does this imply that you get Digital audio by using video inputs? Or does that mean any input can be digital audio?

Thanks.

Both of those formats (AES @75ohm and SPDIF Coax) are nothing more than video feeds. The digital audio PCM is embedded in a normal NTSC video signal. So, they're just letting you know that you can use the video side of the switcher to move digital audio around as well. I've used this in a pinch to transmit a stereo digital audio feed over video to get a couple extra tracks to a remote. (during my pro audio days in broadcast)

The only issue, if you're a purist, is that the resyncing of the video that has to happen in the switcher can result in some clock jitter at the bidness end of the system. The result is degraded sound quality or clicks and pops. (worst case - receiving device cannot sync at all.)

The best thing to do is try to simulate the system as best you can in burn-in. Get the real wire distance from the Head End to the end site and try it in the shop. You'll at least have a good idea if it'll work or not.

best of luck
    ejm
  • wberriel1wberriel1 Posts: 11
    Thanks a lot for the explanation, I'll test it out.