Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

NetLinx + Access

Currently I have an old access device. I'd like to add an NetLinx device in order to take the advantage of Wifi TouchPanel. I would now like to connect an NetLinx device and connect to the old access device via AXLink... Is it possible and how to do that in programming phrase?

Comments

• Depending on the Axcess system, you can use it as a "bus extender" on AXlink, by disabling the AXcess CPU.

This will work with:
    - AXcent3 / AXcent3/pro
    connect to it by terminal and use the terminal command
    SET BASE DEVICE NUMBER [dev]<enter>
    where [dev] is the new base address for the AX3 devices:
    Example:
    SET BASE DEVICE NUMBER 2<enter>
    will set the first RS232 to address 2 (all other of the AX3 will also shift to 3,4,5,etc). The AX3 CPU is now disabled, the AX3 is now just a AXlink bus device

- AXcess cardframe
    simply remove the AXC-EM card(s), the cardframe will now work just as AXlink extension, addresses still based on the AXC-S setting.

Coding in general doesn't differ to real NetLinx devices.
    If i.e. the AX3 is set to base address 2, the AX3 ports are addressed 2:1:0 3:1:0 etc. Same for the cardframe.

Remember that AXlink devices always have always only 1 port.

All other AXcess masters (AXcent, AXcent2, AXB-EM232) can NOT be used with NetLinx by AXlink, because the CPU can not be disabled.

Hope this helps.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    winstonma wrote:
    Currently I have an old access device. I'd like to add an NetLinx device in order to take the advantage of Wifi TouchPanel. I would now like to connect an NetLinx device and connect to the old access device via AXLink... Is it possible and how to do that in programming phrase?

If you're asking if you can connect a newer NetLinx device to an old Axcess processor, the answer is no.

If you're asking if you can connect an old Axcess device to a newer Netlinx master, the answer is yes.

Marc's statements about being able to use the old Axcess integerated master's is correct and you can still use all those on his list.

In my own home, I kept my old Axcess card frame full of IR, RS-232, relays and whatnot and upgraded to a Netlinx master. It works great.
  • winstonmawinstonma Posts: 45
    Then how about I want to take advantage of the Wi-Fi Touchpanel?
    winstonma wrote:
    Then how about I want to take advantage of the Wi-Fi Touchpanel?

Well, it's pretty much the same answer. If you wish to connect the WiFi touch panel (MVP7500,MVP8400 or the Modero panels that allow a wireless card) to an old Axcess master, then you're out of luck.

However, if you are using a NetLinx Master (such as NI-X000, NI-X100, NI-700/900, NXC-ME260/64...) then you can easily connect it as long as that master is itself connected to the IP network. You'll not be able to connect the panel via the AXLINK connection. It has to use an ethernet connection.

There are pretty detailed instructions on how to do this in the touch panel manuals. Should be everything you need.

Cheers!
    em
    o that's why I want to add an NI-700 on top of the wi-fi touchpanel.

I wonder if I need to do modifications on the old access device?
    winstonma wrote:
    o that's why I want to add an NI-700 on top of the wi-fi touchpanel.

I wonder if I need to do modifications on the old access device?

It would really be helpful if you would be more specific on which Axcess device(s) we're discussing.
    let me check that first... and thanks for the help