Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

RFID! Anterus

Is anyone else excited about this product? I CAN'T WAIT (to get my hopes dashed due to unrealistic expectations)! I imagine being able to switch an MVP-8400 to the current room when the touchpanel enters the room. Being able to display the last received location of your car keys/cell phone/remote/whatever on a house overview. Having music follow you through the house. And MORE! :)

I can't wait to see the actual production specs so that I can reign in my expectations.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Very cool indeed.
  • Options
    NMarkRobertsNMarkRoberts Posts: 455
    Huh?

Que?

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I'm with Mark on this . . . huh?
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    New from InfoComm

Here is the press release:

http://www.amx.com/newsroom/pressrelease-file.asp?release=2007.6.19.b
  • Options
    TrikinCurtTrikinCurt Posts: 158
    Figures, they just put up sheetrock at my place :)

Agreed though, I just want to download the manual... I looked at some other RFID stuff and it seems the trick is you need a lot of well placed receivers for it to work - that can be a little tough in a residential install.

Curt
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    How are we going to talk the customers into the implant? Can we perform it ourselves? Of course we'd have to charge a nominal surgical fee.
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Rumor is rife that there is also a 'dog collar style' version coming too.

It's designed for ages 2 and up.

Blue or pink color option.

Waterproof.

Nice!

:-)
  • Options
    we need this for our boss. i'd open a popup on my screen to warn myself when i have my earphones on...
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Anyone ever wonder with all this RF & wireless stuff and the fact that our world in general is a wireless world (phones, security systems, TV, radio, satellite, etc.) - how much more can we put into a single house with things fighting with eachother?

Just thinking out loud . . .
  • Options
    TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    Or more to the point, what the long term impact is on human physiology. This is something we know very little about.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    Or more to the point, what the long term impact is on human physiology. This is something we know very little about.
    I believe recently there was a discussion about access points in school and the negative affects the low levels of RF posed on children. I think they eliminated them from the school.

Back in the Navy days the fire control techs could cook a seagull at 100 meters all be it with a powerful fire control tracking radar with all the RF power concentrated to a pin point at over a Mega Watt of power.

Now lately I've been wondering as I sit amidst 3 MVPs, a laptop and 2 access points on different subnets. That's just the stuff with in 10' of my seat. Low level of RF x 10 hours per day x 7 days per week x 365 days per years. I thought I was fried but that used to mean from stuff I did in the 70's & 80's not from my present sedentary life.
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    vining wrote:
    TonyAngelo wrote:

I believe recently there was a discussion about access points in school and the negative affects the low levels of RF posed on children. I think they eliminated them from the school.

Back in the Navy days the fire control techs could cook a seagull at 100 meters all be it with a powerful fire control tracking radar with all the RF power concentrated to a pin point at over a Mega Watt of power.

Now lately I've been wondering as I sit amidst 3 MVPs, a laptop and 2 access points on different subnets. That's just the stuff with in 10' of my seat. Low level of RF x 10 hours per day x 7 days per week x 365 days per years. I thought I was fried but that used to mean from stuff I did in the 70's & 80's not from my present sedentary life.
    Thinking we might issue these to our staff. Elegant, yet functional.

Not so appropriate at handover though!

http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html

:-)

Does make you wonder though....
  • Options
    2nd Rick2nd Rick Posts: 6
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    I imagine being able to switch an MVP-8400 to the current room when the touchpanel enters the room.

During the presentation at the pre-InfoComm AMX meeting, Rashid walked to a lectern, the RFID receiver recognized that his tag was approaching, and started his presentation.

We are envisioning more commercial applications:
    Monitoring the location of a/v and video conference carts in corporate or education environments, etc.

As far as exploring residential applications, the ball is in motion to start to investigate the application you outlined above.
    The issue that is going to be addressed is whether the RF output of the tag will interfere with the Wi-Fi or Zigbee range of the current wireless devices, or vice versa.
  • Options
    travtrav Posts: 188
    Details I've gleaned from AMX:

RS-485 (this has been from a single source only, and I'm a little disturbed by this)
    Active RFID - 5 Year battery, why it isn't a passive induction based one I don't know...

it appears that one of the 'board' made their billions doing RFID toll paying, I assume it is along the lines of this (a broad assumption, but I'm sure not far from the truth).

As for putting it over RS485.... may I be the first to say.. WTF. That really confuses me. I've used RFID solutions before, ground loops in the driveway, Doorway ones to track users movement through houses, and such like. I am just astounded they haven't gone done the ethernet TCP/IP route with this product.

It makes me cry :(
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I actually like the RS485 idea to a point. I am picturing needing atleast one receiver in each room of some of the houses I deal with and possibly more than one (depending on range). If I had to home run every receiver and give each one network port, it could become very expensive and limiting.

As for active RFID, I would guess that this has something to do with the range of transmission. I am completely speculating here as I have not had the chance to play with RFID yet, but it seems to me that a passive tag would not have the range of an active tag.

I can't wait to get a couple to play with tho :)

Jeff
  • Options
    trav wrote:
    I am just astounded they haven't gone done the ethernet TCP/IP route with this product.

++2 ushielded Wires instead of 8 shielded
    ++no switches or active parts needed, when more than one device is connected
    -- only one message can be send to a device at a time
    -- smaller amounts of data can be transferred, although I think that there won't be huge amounts of data
    -- one of the scarce RS-485 ports of the netlinx master is used

other pros/cons?
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    RS485 pros/cons

Pro:
    RS485 can be easily daisy-chained (as opposed to the IP's star topology). This _can_ result in shorter cable runs. If you've got many end-points in the system, you still only need one cable running back to the master. Less physical space could be advantageous.

Con:
    A break in a daisy chain will take out more than one end-point.
  • Options
    damiendamien Posts: 10
    ANTERUS RFID

Hello,

We ordered the RFID anterus and we are now busy integrating it into a system.
    In the installation guide they say that you need to instal it through the webutility through the processor but he doesn't shows up. I can see him but it is an unrecognized device ? So he doesn't shows up in the webcontrol section / manage devices.

Into the manual they talk about a TP4 panel demo, but I cannot find it ??

Anybody already worked with it ?

Thank You
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I have a system coming soon. I'll post results as soon as I can if no one else beats me to it.

I intend to use it for a residential project where the house will respond differently depending on who arrives. A driveway sensor trigger alone will trigger different events than one combined with a read from an Antrus tag.