Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

lost password

During initial setup through the web I set an administrator password. Went to infocomm and today can not remember the password or did something go wrong? Is there a way to reset to factory settings? I can not connect through serial either without the user name and password. HELP!!

Comments

• ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    You better hope that it is under warranty. Otherwise think hard. Once you enable security, its set. You cannot do anything unless you feel very courageous and feel like re-flashing one of the soldered on chips.

I just had this happen except it was a used one I bought, and luckly it still was under warranty so I was able to send it in.

Good luck!
  • This is why I prefer to let the programming port unsecured in any way if possible.... last chance to reset security.
  • mstocummstocum Posts: 120
    Is there anyway at all around this? I have an ME260 from eBay but no password. It just seems absurd to me to not have some method of doing a complete factory reset in the field.
  • mstocum wrote:
    Is there anyway at all around this? I have an ME260 from eBay but no password. It just seems absurd to me to not have some method of doing a complete factory reset in the field.

No chance.... there's no way to reset security if you don't have any admin access to terminal or webserver. This security setup is saved in a flash chip, not on CompactFlash, so it will also not help to replace the CF. From positive point of view, this is a secrity feature...
    Only AMX can reload that flash chip.
    No chance.... there's no way to reset security if you don't have any admin access to terminal or webserver. This security setup is saved in a flash chip, not on CompactFlash, so it will also not help to replace the CF. From positive point of view, this is a secrity feature...
    Only AMX can reload that flash chip.

Wasn't there a way once upon a time to turn off security if you had RS232 access to the master? Is there anyway to downgrade to this firmware, even if it involves pulling the compact flash card to load it? Failing that I'm also trying to brute force the password through the web interface. Ultimately I don't really need the admin password for what I'm doing, it's just kind of annoying.
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    No, you cannot load a version of the firmware that is pre security enhanced. Theres a block that was in place which prevented it. Did you already check to see if it is under warranty?

Ryan
    ryanww wrote:
    No, you cannot load a version of the firmware that is pre security enhanced. Theres a block that was in place which prevented it. Did you already check to see if it is under warranty?

Ryan

Not yet, but it's an ME260 (not a 64) so I'm pretty sure it's not covered. I'm also waiting to hear back from the person who I bought it from to see if they have the password. And as a last resort I'm trying to brute force the password through the web interface. The NetLinx FTP account is still intact with the default password, so with any luck the admin user is still administrator.
  • I am not sure about the ME series of processors, but the newer ones allow you to terminal server in using a serial cable.
    Try the command:

setup security

It's not in the list of functions, but its there on most firmwares I've personally dealt with. That will bring you to a new list of commands. One of which is to reset the administrator password. I have an old ME I'll try it on later to see for myself. Good luck. Also, its not possible to change the admin username, so it is still administrator.

Jason
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    allaboutav wrote:
    I am not sure about the ME series of processors, but the newer ones allow you to terminal server in using a serial cable.
    Only a serial cable? I tried the command on my NI-3k via telnet and no dice. Nothing seemed to have changed / happened. Just curious.
  • jjames wrote:
    Only a serial cable? I tried the command on my NI-3k via telnet and no dice. Nothing seemed to have changed / happened. Just curious.

In Firmware v3, the terminal security setups are only available from programming port, not from telnet!!
    allaboutav wrote:
    Try the command:

setup security

I thought I remembered something about that command. Sadly security was enabled on the serial port too :-(. Does anyone know the password rules for an ME260? I may just go back to trying to brute force the thing, but knowing the range and valid characters would help with that.