Home AMX User Forum Duet/Cafe Duet

Capabilities of Cafe Duet/Java Greater Than Netlinx?

Hi,

I'm new to AMX programming. I've been to Programmer I, but, that's about it. So, I don't have a lot invested in Netlinx. I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to continue learning Netlinx, or, to learn Java straight-away. Is Java the future of AMX programming? One nice thing about Java is the ready availability of programming books and classes at local universities makes it easier to learn on my own than Netlinx would be. Also, I'd like to focus on including other content on AMX panels -- tie-ins to Outlook/ Exchange calendars, and task lists, bringing in Internet content, such as local events, movie times, etc. into our standard GUI and maybe even control over iTunes.

Given that, I guess I have two questions:

1. Would I be better off learning as little Netlinx as possible and moving to Java as quickly as possible?

2. Does Java allow programmers to do things they couldn't otherwise do in Netlinx, or, to do the same things more efficiently? Or, are they equivalent means to the same end?

Thanks.

Comments

• GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    At the moment you can't program a complete Netlinx system in Java and I think it will be sometime before you can. Java will be king someday, but I believe you can't always wait for the next train. Unless you are only going to program modules you'll have to learn both, which is a good thing!
  • dbfreqdbfreq Posts: 9
    Thanks for the response, Gary. Do you feel the addition of Java expands what is possible with an AMX control system?
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    No question about it, Java will open up a new frontier, but I would still learn the Netlinx!
  • joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    dbfreq wrote:
    1. Would I be better off learning as little Netlinx as possible and moving to Java as quickly as possible?

It all depends on what you expect and want to accomplish. My first experience with writing Axcess code was in 1992. If Java was an option then, I would have taken the Java route.
    dbfreq wrote:
    2. Does Java allow programmers to do things they couldn't otherwise do in Netlinx, or, to do the same things more efficiently? Or, are they equivalent means to the same end?

You can do quite a bit more in Java than what can be done in Netlinx.
    Webservices
    Soap
    SSL
    Database
    etc.
    GSLogic wrote:
    At the moment you can't program a complete Netlinx system in Java and I think it will be sometime before you can.

You can do this now if you have a good understanding of Java. It's just not documented nor promoted.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Right now, I don't see an advantage to programming main code in Java. The number of devices that benefit from it are increasing as media devices get more sophisticated; things like streaming media, and database operations ... but, for the most part, there are pre-made Duet modules you can plug in and run with for those. I cannot think of a single reason that would justify switching the main code to Java at this point in time, considering the learning curve and how very little (if anything) it would add to a NetLinx control system.
    DHawthorne wrote:
    I cannot think of a single reason that would justify switching the main code to Java at this point in time, considering the learning curve and how very little (if anything) it would add to a NetLinx control system.

In spirit I agree. The reality is the universities and junior colleges are turning out C# and Java programmers. It's the way of the world.

There is quite a bit more rope provided when writing 100% in Java. Which presents another issue - support. Unless the market pushes for 100% Java, I don't think we will ever see AMX truly support it.

As an independent programmer I am forced to swim with the current. It's my reality.

I have worked with all generations of AMX hardware starting at SX. One York system.

Cheers