Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect

Are there commercially available VA Templates?

The work on sites like guifx.com is excellent, but has anyone seen templates for sale that are targeted towards VA?

If not - and you are (or know) a graphic designer, it might be something to consider. I know I would want to buy them.

You would think that in an attempt to make VA more desirable, AMX would put their talented graphics folks to work on it. The templates in the download section aren't bad at all, but as mentioned by another poster, those for VA are so basic and could use some graphic artist attention.

Thanks!

Comments

• sethollesetholle Posts: 66
    VA templates

I have made a lot of different templates in tp design, va. Email me if you are interested.
    It just takes some time to think things through when making templates and tp files in general that are bullet proof.
    Seth
  • HiFiGuyHiFiGuy Posts: 2
    If one already had several GuiFX templates, would they work with VA? I was under the impression that they didn't with VA 1.0. Is that one of the improvements with 1.1 or 1.2?
  • CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    HiFiGuy,
    After speaking with the VA template designer, it appears that creating VA templates is fairly difficult and time consuming.

I have been told that they are currently drafting a "how-to" guide for creating VA templates. Now, with that being said, there is a chance you could reverse engineer what they have done here. If you import the template file into TPD4, you will see what I mean.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\VASupportFiles\Templates

The naming convention appears to be the biggest challenge for the designer. I wanted to delete some pages and condense the template file so that I could customize the elements for a project and when I went to export as a VA template, I received errors. It appears that for the moment at least, VA does not like to import a template that is missing design elements. So, you have to have one page for every type of device in VA.

This is why I think starting with a template they created, and then reverse engineering it may be better. I tried to add a custom background and it did not like the graphic that I put in - essentially an un-recognized button error. I trust that this process will be simplified as the software app matures, but for now, we are going to have a difficult (or at least time consuming) process ahead of us for those who want to customize the UI.

One idea that would be faster would be to take the exported UI and copy the button numbering / port assignment into your guifx template. Essentially, the port and button standard that is used should not change from project to project in VA - as I understand it. VA is using rules to assign the ports and button numbers.

Chris