Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

MVP-TPS - RJ45 Plug

Hi everybody,

does anybody knows about the RJ45 plug between the two USB and the power plug?
I think it's a network plug but I found nothing about it...

Any idees?

Greetings from
MasterReboot

Comments

• No ideas???
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've never even noticed the thing before :).
  • yeah me too... since I opened the TDS... and surprise, surprise!!!
    Hmmm...
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Hmmm, not on the older ones.

Kevin D.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i would say it has something to do with the ability to have the MVP use a wired connection in stead of a wireless one?
    I thought about it, and it would be SUPER handy, in case the Wifi crashes out, you would still be able to use the wired RJ45 connection :)
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I don't think I've seen an instance when just the wi-fi locked up. It's possible but usually I see the cable modem or router lock up.

Plus how would it connect through the TDS? Through the pins? They're not all that reliable for charging the darn thing.

What they could do, which would be sort of cool and stealthy is have the TDS play dual roles, a charging base and an access point. If that were the case and they had somone like Cisco System do the design and OEM the hardware, this could be a good thing.

Alas we may never know!
    vining wrote:
    I don't think I've seen an instance when just the wi-fi locked up. It's possible but usually I see the cable modem or router lock up.

Plus how would it connect through the TDS? Through the pins? They're not all that reliable for charging the darn thing.

What they could do, which would be sort of cool and stealthy is have the TDS play dual roles, a charging base and an access point. If that were the case and they had somone like Cisco System do the design and OEM the hardware, this could be a good thing.

Alas we may never know!

well, not so much the Wifi of the panel lock up, but more of a WAP locking up. Big companies tend to change their wifi encryption from time to time which renders a wireless touchpanel useless.
    But indeed, the pins on the TDS aren't that reliable so that't a no-go...
  • Maybe once we can use it for a video preview?
    Maybe once we can use it for a video preview?

again, using the "crappy" docking station pins?
  • Hmmm... maybe you're damn right... but for what are the 18 pins???
    Hmmm... maybe you're damn right... but for what are the 18 pins???

I can't imagine, myself. OK ... two for power, two for data, maybe another two as a closure to show it's docked, though that could be done with one since the magnet is obviously part of that ... but what are the rest of them? Separate mouse and keyboard connectors?
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Tech Note 706 has the pin uses listed
    It's not far from what I said: three for power, two for data, three for panel/cradle detection, and two for USB. However, there are four separate grounds; the rest (5) are not used.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I don't have a new docking station near me, but has anyone noticed if it's showing up as a device? Firmware upgrades without having the need for the 8400 to be docked? I dunno either . . .
    jjames,

Is it my eyes, or does your ACE Programmers image have 4's for A, 3's for E and 1's for I.
    Haha - yeah, it does. I hope defacing AMX property to make it look "cooler" is allowed. ;)
    Well if they don't mind I'll make one for myself that reads "AMX CERTIFIED DUMB A$$". I'm sure tech support would approved that for my use!
    Haha - not sure what AMX would think of that . . . why not try it? LOL
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Ok, just got a new one direct from AMX and it doesn't have an RJ45 either.. So it's easily visible?

Kevin D.