Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Positive Thinking - TP Design Request

In my design, I do a lot of copying and pasting of pages and popups within my Touch Panels. Every time, for example, I make changes on one of my touch panels, I open the highest resolution file, make changes, then save it as a different, smaller, panel type. Once there, I have to go to the cooresponding touch panel, delete all the changed pages and popups (its a multi-theme TP, hense why I don't just save it as a certain panel size and upload from there), then copy and paste every new and/or changed page and popup.

Now, I don't mind doing this; I've done it enough where its simple muscle memory by this point. Today however, I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to select and copy multiple pages/popups and/or be able to copy a folder.

If anyone else thinks this would be a very convinient feature or has any further thoughts along this line, please post.

Edit:
I remembered another issue I run into during the process of copying files from one TP to another: it is very annoying how when I copy a page or popup that if it used icons, it automatically copies the files into new slots instead of even checking if the current slots match its own. It can get very frustrating having to do a run-through every week in the TP to make sure there aren't copies of bitmap files and repeating icons.

Thanks!

~Jason

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    In my design, I do a lot of copying and pasting of pages and popups within my Touch Panels. Every time, for example, I make changes on one of my touch panels, I open the highest resolution file, make changes, then save it as a different, smaller, panel type. Once there, I have to go to the cooresponding touch panel, delete all the changed pages and popups (its a multi-theme TP, hense why I don't just save it as a certain panel size and upload from there), then copy and paste every new and/or changed page and popup.

Now, I don't mind doing this; I've done it enough where its simple muscle memory by this point. Today however, I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to select and copy multiple pages/popups and/or be able to copy a folder.

If anyone else thinks this would be a very convinient feature or has any further thoughts along this line, please post.

Edit:
    I remembered another issue I run into during the process of copying files from one TP to another: it is very annoying how when I copy a page or popup that if it used icons, it automatically copies the files into new slots instead of even checking if the current slots match its own. It can get very frustrating having to do a run-through every week in the TP to make sure there aren't copies of bitmap files and repeating icons.

Thanks!

~Jason

I posted this very issue in the TP4 changes/suggestions/bug reports post over in the User Interface section.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've always thought it should go a step further (and I"M SURE I've mentioned here too): we should be able to merge panels with a wizard that will allow you to choose whether to merge with different port numbers, or overwrite existing ones.

I have a dummy panel file for every device I use commonly. Pre-written modules also generally include pages for the controlled device. I really ought to be able to take my general project design, and merge in these other panel files without having to copy and paste each page.
  • ericmedley wrote:
    I posted this very issue in the TP4 changes/suggestions/bug reports post over in the User Interface section.

I'm sorry, however I was unable to find the post you're speaking of. If you could please post a link to that post in this thread, I'd appreciate it; else if you could give me further information on the post I will find it.

DHawthorne wrote:
    I've always thought it should go a step further (and I"M SURE I've mentioned here too): we should be able to merge panels with a wizard that will allow you to choose whether to merge with different port numbers, or overwrite existing ones.

I like the thought of a merging wizard, as it seems merging and combining ultimately become repeating issues for regular TP designers.

I was thinking, also, how handy it would be if TP's weren't so rigidly resolution specific, for it can be arduous when designing the same panel in a standard and wide screen resolution. I am not sure what would be the best ways of handling this; I have a few ideas, however I'm not knowledgable enough of the inner workings of TP Design to know what inner workings the Panel Type therein. However, if there's a potential solution, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

~Jason