Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect

Custom Device?

jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
Is there a way to modify or create your own custom device? I'm finally starting to give VA another chance here and am wondering if you can do these types of things. One thing I strongly dislike about these type of programs is the lack of support for certain "devices". Like I said, I just started tinkering with VA a little bit more and haven't quite learned all the ins-and-outs.

Thanks!

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Update

Well - found the backdoor way. Wish I didn't have to do it but . . . gotta do what you gotta do. Nothing like a few file modifications. ;)
  • Custom Device

Are you talking about an IR or Serial Device?
    There are methods for both but it would need to fit into the list of device types. The best way to do that is review the UI template and see what fits best.
    Well...

Well, both actually. Right now I'm basically using VA for it's ability to layout a job, and not code generation or TP generation. I'd like to be able to add some Integra pieces (their recievers, DVD players and CD player.) Stuff like that. Pieces that we use in every single job. I'd also like to be able to add in some cable boxes that you're able to monitor the power status through a relay, and monitored on the NI-x1000 as an IO "input" rather than an IO "output" (already corrected that fix.) Then of course the whole slew of missing AMX devices (AXR-RF, AXB-IRS4, basically the legacy devices.) But like I said - sometimes you need to take the indirect route. ;)

I'm running version 1.0.0.40, so I'm not sure if this makes much of a difference.
  • Custom Device

Huge difference from 1.0 to 1.2 and we are in beta for 1.3 now. Highly recommend getting to 1.2 asap. All of the missing mentioned devices are there now plus manny improvements.
    Will do!

Thanks! I looked at the "supported devices" list and I didn't see any added AMX stuff - so I kinda figured they weren't in there. Thanks for the correction!

I'll place my order Monday.
    Follow Up

I recieved my order of VA, and whoo-hoo, I like it. There's so much more available.

I like it a lot, except for one thing . . . WHERE'S THE FREAKIN' UNDO BUTTON? This is the second program I've used that AMX does not have an "undo" button. If this is their new trend, I think we're all doomed. Are these four things really too much to ask for? Undo, redo, copy, and paste.

But on a positive note - I can't wait to see what 1.3 brings - what else could they improve upon? Excellent product overall.
  • Custom Devices

If you have just updated to VA 1.2 and like the custom flexibility, check out the accessories options (right-click on an AMX device and select accessories). That's a great feature, but not so great, we still use a lot of radia devices, and I'm not aware of any valid shortcuts that will allow the addition of a RDD-DM4/6 for example. I'm would guess that the Eclypse will be supported in VA1.3 so.... I find we still use 'dummy' CSD's and IRL's to represent hardware interfaces which is frustrating. Also, where's the UPC20+, RDC-DC etc.
    Yeah - starting to do that as well (using dummy CSDs & IRLs.) That's frustrating. Right now I'm using VA as a documentation program only. I just don't have time to try the code or touch panels it generates, though I would imagine they are okay.

One annoying thing though, I had added an Autopatch Precis, 18x18. Well, I added an audio port and all that through the accessory menu-thing-a-ma-bob, with a count of 18. All was great, except - they all had the same name. I would have to add 18 input/output audio ports and go through then rename each and every one of them - gah - annoying.

But - everything can't be handed to us on a silver platter, eh? :D
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    Could somebody explain why if Integra is a DDDP partner it is not listed in VA?
    flcusat wrote:
    Could somebody explain why if Integra is a DDDP partner it is not listed in VA?
    Patience young grasshopper, patience. ;)

It'll come. (That's if Integra fixes their ethernet control protocol.)
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    I understand the DDDP part of it but why there is nothing under Serial or IR?. Integra is not even listed as a manufacturer and Onkyo only has 3 receivers under IR.
    That - I don't know. I agree with you and also feel they should have had Integra on their list of devices in VA and should have been developing modules for their devices. But if their Integra modules would have been anything like their Onkyo ones . . . I'm glad they didn't.